R&A/USGA report on equipment standards

D

Deleted member 15344

I don’t see the point - what difference does it make ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I hope the ball rule does not change for quite some time (if it does) with all these lockdowns I probably have enough new balls for about 5 years.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
So in 10 years time when I'm watching the PGA Tour on TV I will see Rory hit driver 9 iron to a green instead of driver wedge. It will make zero difference to my perception of what is being impacted in the professional game.

In 10 years time will I still be able to reach the top of the hill on 4 with my drive and play an 8 iron second? Or will I be hitting a 5 iron second an finding that my game has been impacted massively.

D

Deleted member 15344

The point about LRs for competitions at club level I thought is a good one.
I couldn’t think of anything worse

Why would a club want to limit what equipment is used in club comps ?

How many clubs are seeing players “over power” the club - none at ours

Golf bodies at times seem to have this habit of reacting to small areas - the longest will always be the longest in the comp , regardless of what ball or club they use. It is what it is but it only affects the very smallest percentage of golfers

What are you going to do - make sure the ball only goes 300 yards ? 280 ? 250 ? .

Golfnut1957

Visit site

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And most Pros use 45 1/2 " maximum length anyway so that's not going to make a difference except to the few that have put in 48"ers like Bryson.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The equipment standards changes are very interesting, especially Proposal 2: Update on testing method for golf balls. Comment period ends on 2 August 2021.

The reason I find that one particularly interesting is because it strongly suggests that the way balls have been tested for the last couple of decades has been less than ideal. It is conceptually similar to the VW emissions scandal in that things can be engineered to pass a test instead of being engineered for real world use.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
So does this mean we're all going to have a load off balls that we can't use anymore?

I doubt it. The run out on the square groove wedges was a good example. For Pro's it was pretty much instant, for ams it was around 10 years. Drivers with hi cor faces also had a decent use up period.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the restrictions should be for everyone playing the game. Us amateurs have no chance of getting a club to do what probably any pro could do with it if we gave it to them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So does this mean we're all going to have a load off balls that we can't use anymore?
I suspect the aim is to reign in the pro game, not the amateur one. At most, elite amateur.

Unless you are going to be rocking up at an Open qualifier I suspect the balls in your garage will be legal to use ?. If you are an elite amateur I'll give you 10p a ball when they become useless to you ?

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Is it possible to limit how far a ball goes or how far a club will it hit. If we are just thinking about reducing length of courses then fine, reign back the technology. So if 320 yard par 4 become a drive and 7 iron for an average tour pro, the bigger hitters will still be able to go Drive/Wedge, so in reality it's the same as now