quick fix for slice. Good or bad?

Ben-07

Visit site
Been playing 15 months, left handed. I fade irons, which I can live with. My big problem is my 3wood has a slice so bad I can't use it. The grass marks on the bottom of club are sometimes diagonal it's that open at impact!
After another lesson I was told to bump the hips sideways before the downswing, so the arms drop into place. I cant do this properly! The pro's seem to do it but not everyone recommends it.

My question is; I want to stick to a swing I can manage & buy an adjustable 3 wood & close the face!
Will this help me in the long run? Is it cheating? Am I skipping important advice from my tutor for a quick fix?
My longest hit is 160yrd with a 5 iron which is no good for an 18 hole course, I'm desperate to hit something 200 plus.
Any replies greatly appreciated. :)

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Quickest fix for a bad slice is a slightly closed stance and possibly making your grip a little stronger will help too. A pro would be money well spent to give you drills and something worth practicing.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Last edited:

Ben-07

Visit site
What is wrong with a 160yd 5iron? take it out on an 18 holer and enjoy yourself.

There is no set distances for each club but here is a link I found when starting out. I gives some 'guide' distances for amateurs
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...=jr0l_Y2VU253gFYk2ynzrQ&bvm=bv.50500085,d.d2k

Sorry, I think you misunderstand me. I'm happy with 160yrd/5 iron bit my point was I can't hit a ball further with any club. I can't go below 5 iron because of my slice. Thanks.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my experience there is no quick fix for a slice. It will take some practice and effort and probably a few lessons to shift and a fair bit of pain along the way. Get it fixed soon as before it gets to set in.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The one thing I've had to focus on is balance. I have been told to widen my stance, especially with my driver. It feel slightly awkward but the pro made a good point that my golf grip didn't feel comfortable or natural at first.

A bit strange when a bloke tells you to spread 'em several times :eek:

Stegsie

Head Pro
Visit site
Spend the money on lessons instead. Not being funny mate, just being honest.

I was the same a few months ago, ended up getting a course of lessons, had the penultimate one last night and I've gone from hitting my driver with a 50 yard slice to hitting it dead center (9/10 anyway!) Best move I ever made. I tried all sorts of quick fixes and checking youtube videos, they all just compounded the issue. Got yourself to a decent Pro and he'll get your swing sorted out quicker than anything else. Cheers.