Quick ball question

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Currently, and for the recent past, I've played the Srixon AD333 ball.

I'm looking to try and move up to a 3 piece ball that will offer a little more spin/control (softer cover) around the greens without moving into the premium ball bracket.

I have 2 on the radar at the minute. The Titleist NXT tour and Wilson Staff DX3.

I know a few of you guys on here play and rate the DX3 ball highly, but looking at it on a head-to-head basis does one stand out above the other? and why?

Thanks in advance :thup:

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Gareth, I like the NXT Tour and use it a lot but at the moment have been using the Srixon Trispeed and love it ( £20 per doz @ Direct Golf).

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi Gareth, I like the NXT Tour and use it a lot but at the moment have been using the Srixon Trispeed and love it ( £20 per doz @ Direct Golf).

Afternoon Graham. I should have put in the OP that the Trispeeds are oalso on the radar :mad:

Found and played a trispeed a while back and found them excellent.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've just picked up another box of B330 S Bridgestone Balls. The best control/spin ball I've ever played. Prefer them over Prov1's.
I Paid £25 for a dozen. Thats about the best I've seen them for, similar price to the NXT tours.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ive used the nxt but dont really like the feel, they feel alot clickier than the dx3, which i would compare more towards the prov1. ok its by no means a prov but its alot closer to that than it is a nxt.

for me the next seems to lack feel around the greens, the dx3 has the super soft outer like the prov, but seems to offer the same sort of distance of the nxt.

a couple more weeks then the AD333 go away, and its dx3 time until november.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Bridgestone aren't really on my listr BT. I found an xfixx about a month ago, played it, didn't like it at all.

I suppose I should have added that I'm ideally after a ball with relitivley low driver spin.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bridgestone aren't really on my listr BT. I found an xfixx about a month ago, played it, didn't like it at all.

I suppose I should have added that I'm ideally after a ball with relitivley low driver spin.
I would base everything from one ball, and the cheapest one they produce. If you did that then you wouldnt be playing the srixon (they produce the shocking 'distance'), and the Titliest either (they produce all kinds of cheap nasty balls too).

Anyway upto you :)

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've tended to use NXT Tours and like them right enough, but with all the love for the DX3s on her, am deffo tempted to give them a try as well... at that price I'd be mad not to.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would base everything from one ball, and the cheapest one they produce. If you did that then you wouldnt be playing the srixon (they produce the shocking 'distance'), and the Titliest either (they produce all kinds of cheap nasty balls too).

Anyway upto you :)

You're quite right. I see alot of folk on here also play Bridgestone so they cant be that bad.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
just to throw another in the mix, AG are doing the TM Burner TP 3 piece for £15 a dozen.... they are end of life though, so maybe look at the RBZ? are they even 3 piece? i know the new penta TP3 is, but thats up a notch in pricing.. some crazy cheap ball deals about at the minute!!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
ive used the nxt but dont really like the feel, they feel alot clickier than the dx3, which i would compare more towards the prov1. ok its by no means a prov but its alot closer to that than it is a nxt.

for me the next seems to lack feel around the greens, the dx3 has the super soft outer like the prov, but seems to offer the same sort of distance of the nxt.

a couple more weeks then the AD333 go away, and its dx3 time until november.

Pretty well the same for me. I use Maxfli Noodles in the winter and a softer choice in the summer

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
As a slight aside, why are the DX3s so cheap? It sounds like they perform like a ball in the £20-25 per dozen bracket, but sell for a lot less.

Is it just a case of Wilson not being renowned in the ball market these days and unable to charge top whack? Seems odd given what good balls these are reputed to be....

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
NXT Tour, whilst a decent ball, are overpriced.

DX3 are absolutely superb and you won't get a better ball for under £20 a dozen.

Last years B330 and B330s are on sale for about £25 a dozen most places now though and they are the best ball I've tried and pretty much use nothing else now. If you can get them the same price, or less, than the NXT Tour I wouldn't hesitate.

If you want to spend less than DX3. If not B330 or B330s.

Essex_Stu

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Switched back to DX3's today and they really do feel soft off the face. They dont cut up easily either and seem to go as far as the AD333.

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you like the NXT Tour wait a little and try the NXT Tour S. Titleist sent me a demo pack and they feel a lot softer than the normal Tour balls.

bignev

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Stick with the NXT Tours even at my H/Cap I find them easy to control and they give me good distance and feel around the greens.