Question for anybody who knows about electrics????

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its all about diversification, is the socket on a ring main or just a single spur. IE which circuit breaker does it trip? 32amp is ring main 16amp is single spur. Most hard wired cooker units are to a dedicated 32amp circuit breaker. this is normally a 4mm cable as a simple 1.5 or 2.5 flex will not take the load for a considerable time. These are only limited to a quick burst of full power.
Hope this helps or confuses you even more.
I think you mean 6mm cable;)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Maybe in new money, but im still on the 11th edition of the regs.
The original mains supply is probably only equivalent to 6 mm, 7.052 in old money :ROFLMAO: long time ago, but some properties still have old Lead, VIR or TRS cables as mains supplies.
New 9.5 and 10.5 KW showers require a 10mm cable .

Last edited:

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The original mains supply is probably only equivalent to 6 mm, 7.052 in old money :ROFLMAO: long time ago, but some properties still have old Lead, VIR or TRS cables as mains supplies.
I changed the shower unit last year from a 7.5Kw to a 9Kw and had to replace the 6mm cable for a 10mm with a 40amp circuit breaker as well. The mains cable has not been changed since 1948 when the house was built, the mains tails have been uprated when the new distribution board was fitted 10 years ago.
so much for safety first, the new regs are just beyond a joke now. With Part P I an not allowed to do my own repairs at home.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

If I remember right my old sparks told me 6mm equivalent was 7/044.
Others I remember
3/029 = 1.5
7/029= 2.5

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I changed the shower unit last year from a 7.5Kw to a 9Kw and had to replace the 6mm cable for a 10mm with a 40amp circuit breaker as well. The mains cable has not been changed since 1948 when the house was built, the mains tails have been uprated when the new distribution board was fitted 10 years ago.
so much for safety first, the new regs are just beyond a joke now. With Part P I an not allowed to do my own repairs at home.
I know it's a bit silly sometimes, you've been allowed to carry out electrical work for decades, then suddenly one day your not, because the next set of regulations have kicked in.
When I retired I only had the 16th edition so when the 17th kicked in I had to get one of my old apprentices to check and sign off any work I carried out, or go back to school.:eek:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
. With Part P I an not allowed to do my own repairs at home.

Last time I checked but that was a a fair few years ago, not totally true - repairs and renewals wee excluded from the legislation.

I find it a bit stupid really I did OND electrical engineering an spent half my working life in the electronic and electrical engineering field to be told somebody else has to do the work now.
It is the reason my house still has a fuse box and not circuit breakers.

TPayne

Visit site
If I were you, I would turn to professionals who would help in solving this issue. I understand that this can be done using guides from the Internet and not spend money on calling the master, but you should think about the danger that may arise. Yes, it's not that hard really, but the slightest mistake can lead to anything from a short circuit to something very bad... When I have any problems with electricity, I turn to electrical contractor charlotte nc. These are really very cool guys who have helped me more than once. They helped especially when I had a short circuit at home and had to change absolutely all the wiring...

Last edited: