Question for all the clubfitters out there

Gelly

Visit site
OK, I’m going to embark on building my own clubs and have everything I need (I think!!) but have a question:

I plan to ream heads to size, dry assemble, cut shafts to length at butt, fit grips, carry out swing weighting and add weights to tip as necessary to bring all to D4 (my preferred weight) and then assemble.

My question really revolves around shaft flex. Provided I do the above, should all the clubs in the set play to the same CPM (flex)?? If there can be variations in this then how is that adjusted but keeping swing weight and length the same?

I would imagine that for a matched set of iron shafts they should. One out the same? For info shafts are nippon 1050GH stiff .370. Heads are Miura PP9003, grips Iomic sticky.

Many thanks for any info the more knowledgeable on here can provide.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I may be wrong but I don't think there are that many club builders on here, golfwrx.com might yield more replies.

But do stay around as this is a good place for golf nuts.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From another website

"In a set of woods or irons, the frequency reading of the shafts in the clubs will normally increase from longest to shortest club in the set. However, due to many factors, the amount of increase from shaft to shaft is not normally in the same increment."

"Frequency matching will make the progression of grip-end stiffness from club to club more consistent from longest to shortest clubs in a golfer's bag. But if the shaft weight, shaft flex and bend profile are not fit properly to the golfer, frequency matching will not help the golfer."

I would question- without the correct electronic equipment how are you going to measure it anyway.

For all the shafts to have the exactly the same flex I would assume that the shafts would have to be selected and checked before fitting to ensure they are all the same as a raw shaft.

However I would assume that with todays manufacturing techniques shafts would be pretty much that good any way.

The .370 shafts would be tip trimmed to produced the correct flex point ie you the higher the club number the more the tip is trimmed normally half an inch per club. (that is as the club gets shorter the flex gets relatively stiffer) whereas .355 taper* are manufactured as discrete shafts each shaft being produced for a specific head depending on the exact stiffness required eg if a shaft is meant for a 6 iron it can be used in 5 iron to increase stiffness or a 7 iron or lower the stiffness of the final club , the flex point still moves further away from the tip the lower the number of the club. Hence by either shaft the flex changes club to club.

*and .355 shafts are all the same weight.