Question about SG app

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’m due to play 3 rounds in England but on my SG app I can’t find any English courses is this not enabled on the app.

Also can you enter general play rounds on the SG app if playing in England?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m due to play 3 rounds in England but on my SG app I can’t find any English courses is this not enabled on the app.

No to both of your questions as far as I know. The technology behind the scenes of the various home nations systems do not communicate with each other.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

I know that Scotland did it's own thing but don't England, Ireland and Wales have the opportunity to use common front end software (eg HDID, HM or IG) which on the face of it, should communicate?

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
No to both of your questions as far as I know. The technology behind the scenes of the various home nations systems do not communicate with each other.
Not sure this is still correct Ger, the CONGU nations have now belatedly sorted their stuff out and they do talk to each other.

I think the issue with not seeing the courses is location only, the App will only be load with SG rated courses, but once in England you should be able to locate nearest courses via GPS, then start the GP process from there.

That said, this update in November isn't totally clear if it's operative yet or still to push the go button https://scottishgolf.org/whs-update-november-2021/

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure this is still correct Ger, the CONGU nations have now belatedly sorted their stuff out and they do talk to each other.

I think the issue with not seeing the courses is location only, the App will only be load with SG rated courses, but once in England you should be able to locate nearest courses via GPS, then start the GP process from there.

That said, this update in November isn't totally clear if it's operative yet or still to push the go button https://scottishgolf.org/whs-update-november-2021/

I don't believe it's operational yet and looking up and finding courses is not restricted due to geolocation. For example, I've just run a quick test and can find Trump in Aberdeen but get an out of range error when it comes to confirming I want to submit a general play score. For Goswick, I can find it but when selecting it, I get a no courses set up. That leads me to suspect that Goswick isn't set up on the Scottish Golf side to allow scores to be input on the SG app, and am guessing it's the same for any/all courses not in Scotland. That is of course just a guess and I could be wrong but you can deffo find courses in England with no geolocation restrictions, just not sure how many (if any) are set up to receive gp scores via the Scottish Golf app.

The link above reads very aspirational to me and certainly I have never received an email from Scottish Golf to say this is now operational like it says all Scottish Golf members have received.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Must be selective, I know a couple of guys with the SG app, and they can log scores in England without issue

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know that Scotland did it's own thing but don't England, Ireland and Wales have the opportunity to use common front end software (eg HDID, HM or IG) which on the face of it, should communicate?

No idea ,I’ll wait till I get down Wednesday and see if it will allow a general play round.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do have a question about the SG app, and figured I’d use this thread rather than start a new one.

how does the app handle holes not played eg. Fading light means holes can’t be started.

is it the same as the EG app, where you just don’t log any score on the hole(s) and submit?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do have a question about the SG app, and figured I’d use this thread rather than start a new one.

how does the app handle holes not played eg. Fading light means holes can’t be started.

is it the same as the EG app, where you just don’t log any score on the hole(s) and submit?
Has anyone got a definitive list of how each 'front end' system (SG, EG, IG, HM, HDID, Golf Genius etc) specifies the 'Hole not started' and 'Hole not completed' options?

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Has anyone got a definitive list of how each 'front end' system (SG, EG, IG, HM, HDID, Golf Genius etc) specifies the 'Hole not started' and 'Hole not completed' options?

EG is easy

NR: click the 3 dots in hole score and select Pick Up

NP: leave hole score completely blank

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK. That's the starter.

EG: NR: click the 3 dots in hole score and select Pick Up NP: leave hole score completely blank

SG:
IG:
HM:
HDID:
Golf Genius:
et?

yandabrown

Visit site
OK. That's the starter.

EG: NR: click the 3 dots in hole score and select Pick Up NP: leave hole score completely blank

SG:
IG: for each hole there are buttons with numbers plus NS Not Started and NR No Result (caused problems at the start with people thinking NS=No Score)
HM:
HDID:
Golf Genius:
et?

Old Colner

Club Champion
Visit site

I have exactly the same situation but in reverse, registered in England with EG and going to Scotland for a week's golf and have not found a way to enter scores.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have exactly the same situation but in reverse, registered in England with EG and going to Scotland for a week's golf and have not found a way to enter scores.

you can’t do it via an app, you have to email the signed scorecards etc to your handicap secretary. Though, probably best to check with them to find out how they want you to do it

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site

HM/masterscoreboard has No Return and Did Not Play as options.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
SG:
IG:
for each hole there are buttons with numbers plus NS Not Started and NR No Result
HM: has No Return and Did Not Play as options.
HDID: Blank for not started, zero for not finished ( I am informed)
Golf Genius:
et?

Last edited: