Quest for a putter

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
As the ongoing saga continues, I tried a few putters today.

The one that made an impression on me was the Taylor Made Rossa Monte Carlo.

162981.jpg

An unusual putter for me as I have never used one before. I've had the standard blade type.
I have to admit that this putter felt good. A little strange with the centre shaft, a small looking head but it definitely felt solid in my hands.

Anybody else have any experience with this model? I assume TM are a company which produces quality gear. I noticed the putter was assembled in USA, the shaft was American and the head was Chi..bloody..nese!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Taylor Made are doing some damn fine putters of late. I've tried all sorts and can only say if you like the feel of it and it goes well, pick it up.
Don't worry about the chinese-made head, 90% of all iron heads are manufactured out there...to the highest standards.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Had a go of the Monza model a couple of weeks ago and liked it a great deal. The only thing that worries me a little with insert putters is some are very soft and, for want of a more technical phrase, the 'boing' effect is something I can't quite get my head round :D

Wouldn't worry about components being sourced from other countries*. Many products we think of as being british or american carry the label - 'assembled in UK...' etc. which clearly isn't the same as 'Made in...'

* if the ethics of far east production plays on your mind then for goodness sake don't read anything along the lines of ' No logo' by Naomi Klein- it won't help

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like the Rossa but felt it was quite firm off the head. If you are interested I just got one of the Ping Anser's. It is quite a solid feeling putter, slightly heavier than most I've tried lately. It has an old fashioned face in that it has no insert or grooves on but is just a flat face.

It was only £50 and so it didn't break the bank either

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bargain !

When the time comes for me it's a pro shop that will let me run them out on a grass putting area.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I admire you all....and am not just a little envious.

I my house, £100 a month on shoes is acceptable. One Putter a year (last one was £32 off eBay) is positively wasteful!

GM sent me one recently.....the "Special Internet Purchase Police" (my missus) had already worked out it was a golf club and had her worst face on when I walked in the door.

I said it was a gift, that GM felt guilty for making me an addict to my laptop.....

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ping B60 Karsten, £65 at the pro shop where you can try it on grass, £60 at AG where you can't. Lovely piece of kit. (oh, and they can be fitted!)

Only drawback on Ping putters is the head cover. they fall off too easily - all for want of a stud or velcro patch.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I recently purchased the Odessey Dual Force 2 putter. In my opinion it is a joy to use, putts roll across the green beautifully.

I can safely say a good putter is an essential piece of equipment. We use the putter for 50% of our shots yet spend more on a driver we only use 14 times a round. Why?

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
The head cover for my Ping Craz-e is brilliant, has a magnetic closing device. I think it's one of the best putter covers around, no annoying velcro, and no messing about with a stud when your hands are cold.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
My putter head cover is ace, it has magnets in to keep it shut, Whats even better is, it sticks to the club heads or even a trolley handle so you dont have to pick it up off the floor.

Same with my fti head cover, that is just genious!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I thought about it today and thought "I gotta have it!"

Paid £69 for it and am pleased as punch.

Talking about headcovers, it comes with a fantastic quality cover with two wrap around magnetic bits that hold the head snug as a bug in the cover. Lovely TM covers too!