Q -School Final Stage

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
After 3 days of q school, there seems to be a huge difference between the players that have played the Tour and Stadium courses, where the leader on the tour is at -14, and for the Stadium its -3.

http://www.europeantour.com/europea...eaderboard/index.html#LBD#rPFXxlQjY2zS4ZX9.97

Look at the red vs purple differences.

The issue is that whilst they swap courses now, there is a cut after day 4, and only the top 70 go through for the last 2 days. So Jimmy Mullen, now has to probably get a -6 under on the first day of playing the Tour course tomorrow to stay in, doesn't seem to fair to me!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
After 3 days of q school, there seems to be a huge difference between the players that have played the Tour and Stadium courses, where the leader on the tour is at -14, and for the Stadium its -3.

http://www.europeantour.com/europea...eaderboard/index.html#LBD#rPFXxlQjY2zS4ZX9.97

Look at the red vs purple differences.

The issue is that whilst they swap courses now, there is a cut after day 4, and only the top 70 go through for the last 2 days. So Jimmy Mullen, now has to probably get a -6 under on the first day of playing the Tour course tomorrow to stay in, doesn't seem to fair to me!

While there's obviously even more pressure on those that have played the Stadium course twice to shoot a really low number on the Tour course, it does end up 'fair' as they play both courses twice before the cut!

Mullen actually played the Tour course on day 2 - shooting 69 compared with his (not good enough!) 74 and 75 on the Stadium course on days 1 and 3.

Apart from that 'added' pressure, it's just as fair as the Morning/Afternoon split of the first 2 days of normal tournaments!

There's a surprising number of 'high reputation' players who are doing rather poorly - though Nick Dougherty's poor one is, sadly, no surprise! Touch an Go for my 'mate' Mark Brown though - unless he can pull off a similar great round (on the tougher course) to his Open Qualifying (a course record!)!

Last edited:

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
ahh ok, well that makes more sense, so nullifies this whole thread :)

Nick is having a bit of a shocker, and looks like he's destined for Sky Sports, which he's quite good at.

They should get this on TV, watching these players make their card would be great viewing I think.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Doesn't nullify the thread!

Don't think there's actually been one started for Q-School. I was just hunting before starting one! :whistle:

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
ahh ok, well that makes more sense, so nullifies this whole thread :)

Nick is having a bit of a shocker, and looks like he's destined for Sky Sports, which he's quite good at.

They should get this on TV, watching these players make their card would be great viewing I think.

It's normally on Sky just after it's over. Highlights shows, no live stuff previously- as you say great (if painful) watch

ShankyBoy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Jimmy Mullen -3 through 12, needs another 2, possibly 3 birdies to make the cut...can't imagine the pressure he's under.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Paul Dunne playing well, currently T40. A couple of birdies could get him closer to the magic top 25.

Now T27!

Remember that there are 2 more rounds to go - for 70-odd that doesn't look like it will include Brownie!:mmm:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Going back to OPs slight misconception, there does seem to be a big difference depending on which order players played the courses.

If I counted correctly, of the 78 who made the cut there's 58 who did courses in order Stadium, Tour, Tour, Stadium and only 20 who did them the other way. Whereas of those who missed the cut, far more of them did Tour, Stadium, Stadium, Tour.

Is there a significance? Were conditions harder on one course or other on some of the days?

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
Going back to OPs slight misconception, there does seem to be a big difference depending on which order players played the courses.

If I counted correctly, of the 78 who made the cut there's 58 who did courses in order Stadium, Tour, Tour, Stadium and only 20 who did them the other way. Whereas of those who missed the cut, far more of them did Tour, Stadium, Stadium, Tour.

Is there a significance? Were conditions harder on one course or other on some of the days?

There's definitely a huge difference. The top 37 (!) are all players who played the stadium course today. On the other hand, if you look at the other end of the ranking, there's only 2 players in the last 25 who played the stadium course today, the other 23 all played the tour course...

Looking at the results, yesterday seems to have been the day to go low on the tour course, since of that top 37 who played the stadium course today (and thus the tour course yesterday), only 4 shot 70 or above yesterday with everybody else shooting in the 60s.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good to see Paul Dunne have a good round today. Couple others I was keeping my eye on have not done so well. Bradley Neil missed out and so did Joel Sjoholm.

Is it still the case that if they miss out on the top 25 and a European tour card, they get a challenge your card? Or is that chaped at a certain number too?