PXG?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just outta interest, Mags like golf monthly do reviews on expensive courses and clothing brands etc. Even some of the clubs are expensive. Yet to some it is pocket money. However has anyone ever done a like for like test for PXG clubs against say my slazenger Exocets. I would be interested to see the figures. 👍
I think it'll make a good argument but a magazine won't do anything like this as it has the potential to affect advertising revenue if the new model is demonstrably shown not to be a huge improvement. Not sure a starter set is necessarily a fair test but I'd love to see something along the lines of a Ping G410 vs G10 for example (or swap any other like for like make model set up)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the irons are things of real beauty and have an awful lot of science behind them.
If I had the money I'd certainly entertain having a fitting ...................... in a heartbeat.
I don't believe for one second that they are, in any way, vanity clubs.
Oh, KABOOOM BABY. (y)

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The driver is £550, with tons of no upcharge shafts. So cost is not far off the new drivers.

I have a fitting for the driver booked in a few weeks.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Just outta interest, Mags like golf monthly do reviews on expensive courses and clothing brands etc. Even some of the clubs are expensive. Yet to some it is pocket money. However has anyone ever done a like for like test for PXG clubs against say my slazenger Exocets. I would be interested to see the figures. 👍
Doesn’t it take days for a fitter to dial a customer in with all those adjustments? Would a magazine go through that? If not it wouldn’t be a ‘fair’ test, if yes it will take them ages before the 1st proper hit.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
without mentioning competitor mags/websites names, just do a web search and you will find several reviews

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
When something technical (like golf clubs) is crazy expensive compared to the competition it's difficult to get a sense of whether the cost may be justified. But if the same company tries charging daft money for basic stuff, then you might draw some conclusions about whether you're paying for just the badge.

My club pro shop had some PXG stuff in for a while. £40 for a glove, anyone? How about £450 for a cart bag? I think this says it all. Of course it didn't sell and is now gone. I sincerely hope it was on sale or return.

Visit site
I've got the driver and 3w and like them both. I've gained distance on the driver compared to my previous driver not a significant amount but it's easier to hit and more accurate. I'm looking at upgrading to a TPT shaft for the driver. 3w sits nice behind the ball and is pretty solid at impact. I'm not sure if I like the new design, but the decrease in price will be significant as its now competing with the others, only time will tell if what Parsons done is madness or pure genius.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whilst I'm all in favour of people spending their money how they see fit and according to what they can afford, I'm still trying to get my head around the concept of paying 900 quid for a set of irons let along £2.5k.......

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Whilst I'm all in favour of people spending their money how they see fit and according to what they can afford, I'm still trying to get my head around the concept of paying 900 quid for a set of irons let along £2.5k.......

All relevant I guess. I have a mate who thinks nothing of spending £4/£5k on a watch. I find that obscene as my £200 (my nice watch) and my £15 work watch do the exact same thing!

Then again to me a watch is a watch!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just reading the last two posts. I am agreeing in total with both posts yet they differ. I wouldn't spend over 3 k on a full set of bats. But I would a watch, well I did on a watch. But I would get more use out of the clubs 😳 I think there is a market for PXG like there is for exclusive courses. Unfortunately for Tash, it's not my market. Gotta say, they look gorgeous.

D

Deleted member 23270

Lots of pros these days don't have equipment contracts and they can afford to buy whatever is best for their game. Not seen many of these guys using PXG so maybe they are vanity clubs?

OLgolfer

Visit site
You buy a BMW/Merc/Audi instead of a Kia/ford which does the same thing, people will compliment and admire your car.

Someone buys PXG’s instead of the standard, people will criticise full of envy.

I don’t get it...

The clubs look and feel amazing and i’ll put them on my shortlist for next irons I buy.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
You buy a BMW/Merc/Audi instead of a Kia/ford which does the same thing, people will compliment and admire your car.

Someone buys PXG’s instead of the standard, people will criticise full of envy.

I don’t get it...

The clubs look and feel amazing and i’ll put them on my shortlist for next irons I buy.

I won't be getting any because of the price, unfortunately, but I do get it. It is like most things though, there is a limit as to what folk will pay, everyone's in a different financial situation so the limit is differant. I had this same conversation re golf courses. Some that are £200 plus, there's no way I can justify that, but some do and some just love it.

Wolf

Visit site
Just seen the list of Pro playing them,

Billy Horschel, Xach Johnson, Charl Schwartzel and Lydia Ko all contracted then add in other pros that are carrying some of their kit through choice like Charles Howell, Pat Perez and a few more I'd say for a fairly new company they're making decent headway into the pro ranks.

I really do like the look of them but just couldn't justify the price, so my next set will likely be in 2 years time and an old model of something like the new Wilson Blades they're also a thing of beauty with a smaller price tag.

D

Deleted member 21258

Great looking irons, quite fancy a set, looks like some 2nd hand sets in dec sold for 600-700.