Putts per round

D

Deleted Member 1156

I always think these sort of stats are very skewed. Theoretically, if you play off 4 and hit every GIR then it's 40 putts but obviously that's not going to happen. Tour pros average around 28-29 per round.
If you can get up and down 2 out of 3 times and hit lots of grrens in reg then low 30's should be your target. Obviously depends on how good your long game is though I guess.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What is a good putts per round ratio for a 4 handicapper?

Login to golfshake and create an account. It'll give you target %'s for your handicap or one lower.

It'll help highlight areas you're strong in or weak in, but take with a pinch of salt when evaluating (lies, damned lies and stats), you may hit a lot of greens, but not hit it close enough so gir looks good and putts looks poor, but it may be you're just not hitting close enough.

Other players will look at footage holed, P.P.G.I.R,etc:...

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Also, you could leave yourself with slippery downhill putts all day in which case your total will be higher.
The best sign of a good putter is someone who tends not to miss easy putts by too much

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I would have thought playing off 4 it would be low 30's at the very least.

My putting averages are low but for the opposite reasons, I don't hit as many G.I.R so I tend to chip close so my ratio of single puts is quite high. If and when I start to hit more regulation greens, I would expect more 2 putts with the odd 3 put thrown in. This might not change my overall shots per round at first as I am effectively replacing where my shots are coming from.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wouldn't putts per GIR be a better stat to monitor for the better player?

Agree with PPR of anything under 30 at your level of play.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
How long is a piece of string?

No way of being concrete on this one! The putts per round stat is very misleading - hit all 18 greens and the answer will be around 36putts, miss all 18 greens and it'll be closer to 18putts!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wouldn't putts per GIR be a better stat to monitor for the better player?

Not even just better players gareth, i think its more realistic. stats are stats, we know that and 54% of the population know they are made up or bent to show what you want to see... however PPGIR is one that i believe is fairly useful.

I could miss every green in regulation, but be hot with the wedge and have 18 putts, on another day hit every green in reg but 2-3 putt meaning say 40 putts! could post the same score! but one has 18 putts one has 40.. i think just a single stat is not enough on its own.. you almost need a formula that blends FIR, GIR and PPR.. Hmmm. i might get working on that!

D

Deleted Member 1156

.. i think just a single stat is not enough on its own.. you almost need a formula that blends FIR, GIR and PPR.. Hmmm. i might get working on that!

One stat is enough....the number on the bottom right of your scorecard. Everything else can be skewed as you describe above. A great driving/approach day will lead to more putts than a poor one where you are constantly chipping.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
One stat is enough....the number on the bottom right of your scorecard. Everything else can be skewed as you describe above. A great driving/approach day will lead to more putts than a poor one where you are constantly chipping.

Would you not want to know how you parred a hole? could be because of a great chip leaving a 1 putt, or a cracking drive poor wedge and a 2 putt..

the score is obviously another metric that needs to be considered. I think i may be over complicating things, but its giving me some excel schooling anyway!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't know TBH. A FIR and GIR doesn't guarantee a birdie or even a par, likewise missing either of them doesn't guarantee a bogey. There are just too many variables. I've had shocking driving days but scored OK due to a hot putter and then another day driven like a god and missed greens all over the place. If I shoot a decent score I don't really worry too much about how I did it.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with d4show that the pure statistical analysis of this can be very misleading; you really have to look wider to get a meaningful picture.

To illustrate that, I had had 21 putts when we shook hands after 15 holes today, and this included a 3 putt from 18ft and the longest putt holed was 6ft....basically what purports to be a putting stat was a chipping one today; which only becomes apparent when viewed alongside the GIR (6/15) and fringe in regulation (6/15) numbers.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
What is a good putts per round ratio for a 4 handicapper?

Impossible to quantify in isolation.

I putted really well yesterday but had 33 putts. No three putts, I didn't miss anything inside six feet, holed a couple outside of that and "scared" the hole with a few longish ones that didn't drop. Problem was my approach play and short game leaving the ball too far from the hole most of the time.

Walked off annoyed at how I'd played, relieved to have made buffer but absolutely delighted with my putting.

I've had rounds with less putts where I considered myself to have putted badly!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
How about putts per GIR and then putts per missed green. Scoresaver2 gives you this I have just noticed and I probably a good marker.

Me being a chomper, if I hit GIR I want to average 2 putts. Missed GIR want to average 1.5 max as in theory I should be chipping on and be potentially closer than from say 140 yards... So it still doesn't give you a total putts per round, but I think the most accurate way of measuring your putting stats.