Putting. . .

sergio10

Hacker
Visit site
Alright guys,

So my putting at the moment is a bit of a problem for me, so chipping , driving, irons . . . but putting is my biggest hang up.

I am looking at getting a new putter but don't know whether to get a blade style that i am using however im often leaving them short but its what i have always used or get a mallet style, however have never used one before out on the course and in the shops they seem ok but as with all putters i have when i get them out there i am missing alot . Could really mix it up and get a broom handled one. . . but could be disasterous. . .

I don't sink putts in one and more than likely get them in two but the odd 3 putts pop up. . . any ideas or recommendations would be great?

heronsghyll

Head Pro
Visit site
This is a difficult question and one that has really no answer. I say this because of all the shots in golf, putting is the one so very personal. What suits one guy/lady may be horrible for another.

It really is a matter of personal choice. What feels right for you, and this can be experienced with trial and error.

I personally moved from a blade putter to a mallet putter years ago and have never looked back. Best advice I could give you is have a putting lesson with your local pro and try as many types as you can until you find the one that suits.

Good luck.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Alright guys,

So my putting at the moment is a bit of a problem for me, so chipping , driving, irons . . . but putting is my biggest hang up.

I am looking at getting a new putter but don't know whether to get a blade style that i am using however im often leaving them short but its what i have always used or get a mallet style, however have never used one before out on the course and in the shops they seem ok but as with all putters i have when i get them out there i am missing alot . Could really mix it up and get a broom handled one. . . but could be disasterous. . .

I don't sink putts in one and more than likely get them in two but the odd 3 putts pop up. . . any ideas or recommendations would be great?

Do you have a video camera?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Forget it, Save the cash, Go see the pro and get a quick lesson. I was having a horrendous time putting and a short lesson has improved me vastly. It was as simple as not having the ball plumb lined with my eye correctly, out by a balls width.

Some decent drills can also help to stop leaving your putts short too.

Then once you have the putting sorted, go buy a new stick!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I concur with heronsghyll, it is very personal. I changed from a mallet to blade but struggled with it so changed back off and on but am looking for a B line shape putter (like the Circa 62 #6 Scotty).

sergio10

Hacker
Visit site
cheers heronsghyll . . .

I am toying between the idea of using a mallett alot of my mates have changed to it and seem to get on well with them. . . i feel like i have a better feel for the ball when using a blade but when i have used a mallett it was alien to me . . . but i suppose practice makes perfect. . .

I am joining a new club soon so i might see the club pro and have a lesson. . .

Clansman

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There will be a review soon in GM - I recently recieved a putter from Paul to review. The putter I recieved was a Benross PureRed Spyglass Mallet Putter. I have now ditched my previous putter and using this all the time now, Now 2 putting instead of 3/4.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sergio - it would be great if you are the (in)famous Spaniard from the Tour. He could do with a few putting tips, it would be great if he was coming to a forum to get them though!

Just keep trying putters wherever you go, it may be some space age thing that costs £300 that fits your eye and feels right. Then again, it might be a tatty old 99p blade from the Charity shop that does the job. I think a couple of guys on here have had a putter fitting and would rave about that too.

KeefG

Journeyman Pro
www.maywoodgolfclub.com
Do yourself a favour and go and get yourself an Odyssey Sabertooth :D

Absolutely superb putter and (accoridng to golfers diary) since i have got mine i am averaging 0.3 putts per hole less, thats over 15 rounds.

Now 0.3 might not sound a lot but it works out at 5.4 putts per round less and over 15 rounds is 81 putts!! This i kid you not.

It took me a few round to get to grips with it mainly because of the insert and the really soft feel off the club face, but i love it to bits now and, touchwood, I havent 3 putted now for 38 holes :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree a lesson would be a better use of your money as I'm sure its more a technical fault rather than the equipment. I had a putting lesson three weeks ago and I'm just getting to grips with the changes and feel pretty good over the ball now

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I think the whole putter thing is a circular argument.

Not putting well-new putter-putting better-putting getting worse-new putter..........a vicious circle.

I'd have a guess that if we picked just one putter that we liked the look of, got some specific putting lessons, that our putting would improve dramaticaly. Thus ending the vicious cirle.

It might be a case of shiny new stick syndrome. (Which most of us suffer from!)

roccokj

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you should try getting a lesson first. I have a relatively unknown mallet putter (Ram ZX) and yet I get on really well with it.
If you really think you need a new putter you should go try "bladed mallets???" like the Odyssey two ball blade. You could also go for heavy blades which may give you the distance you want. :D

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alright guys,

This is difficult as you dont say the kind of putts you feel you are missing when you think you should get or get closer. e.g. if its a 30' putt and you put it to within a couple of feet I wouldnt see anything wrong with that.

If we knew exactly what you feel is a bad miss or a poor effort Im sure lots of good tips would come your way.
PM Bobmac, I reccomend his advice with good reason.