putting Woes -Help please Bob!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Never really had a major problem and it does not happen on when I am on the putting green practicing!

I am not taking my putter back far enough on putts around 12/15 foot. This results in a very limp rushed action which goes around 2 foot to the right of the hole or a pull around 8inch or the left. I know I need to follow through.

It is probably costing me around 5 shots per round. Yes Bob I have the Z easy!!!

The Dog.

Visit site
Ben Hogan says to listen for the putt dropping rather than watch it. This ensures you see the putter strike the ball which is key to hitting it properly. Take a look at a few tour pros putting and plenty do this. See the strike. It is the only tip I can give you that will have a chance of helping. It works too.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ben Hogan says to listen for the putt dropping rather than watch it. This ensures you see the putter strike the ball which is key to hitting it properly. Take a look at a few tour pros putting and plenty do this. See the strike. It is the only tip I can give you that will have a chance of helping. It works too.
Cheers D. I was lifting my head on short putts but I now have a dot on the ball where I fix my eye to stop my head moving/ lifting.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I keep my feet the same width on all putts, I then know how far to take the putter back and through relative to my feet to judge the weight. I always swing the putter at the same tempo and vary the length of the swing to suit the distance, I swing it exactly the same length in the back and fore swing also. This routine creates stability and consistency which are the cornerstones to good putting.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Might sound like a strange question but what lenght is ur putter?

A slightly longer putter may assist in a better stroke.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
You would believe how often people I play with that say their putting lets them down because they do not hole enough from 5-10 foot. They can't understand how I hit so many putts in at this range and they can't. These are the problems that I see...........
1: They are controlling how far they hit the putt by changing the speed they swing, not the length of the stroke.
2: They do not accelerate the putter through the ball, I do not mean like a driver swing, just accelerate the putter.
3: The back swing is too long, so they then decelerate the putter causing them to waggle it all over the place.
4: Under reading putts, sometimes that 6 foot putt needs to be started outside of the hole.

Not sure what else Bob sees as common faults, but I am sure he will have something to say on my advice...........;)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You would believe how often people I play with that say their putting lets them down because they do not hole enough from 5-10 foot. They can't understand how I hit so many putts in at this range and they can't. These are the problems that I see...........
1: They are controlling how far they hit the putt by changing the speed they swing, not the length of the stroke.
2: They do not accelerate the putter through the ball, I do not mean like a driver swing, just accelerate the putter.
3: The back swing is too long, so they then decelerate the putter causing them to waggle it all over the place.
4: Under reading putts, sometimes that 6 foot putt needs to be started outside of the hole.

Not sure what else Bob sees as common faults, but I am sure he will have something to say on my advice...........;)

I can't remember you holing anything over 2 feet ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
34” but it is adjustable

Perfect. Give 35 a go for a while to see if it allows you to make a slightly longer stroke on the long putts.

It worked for Jason kokrak. Went from 120th to 5th in strokes gained putting after going to a longer putter on the advice of his caddy.

*disclaimer - my advice may not have the exact same effect but worth trying. :)

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site

Q: What did Hogan have in common with Player?
A: They listened for the ball to drop.
In other words they never saw the ball go into the hole!

A few tips I find helpful:
Think of the putter as being like a pendulum so the motion forward and back is the same length.
Step away a few inches and practice the motion to see if depending on your stance the putter face opens or closes through the ball.
If it does, alter the position on the face from the middle of the putter to the toe or heel.
Practice again until the face goes through square, then make the putt.
Overall it saves time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Do not even talk about that spell I went through, I remember on the 17th at Spalding one day 3 putting from 6 foot...............:ROFLMAO:

BUt it all got sorted thanks to some cranky old Pro with a couple of plastic sticks held together with a bit of rubber tubing (y)

He must have been a genius :whistle: