Putting with a glove on

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can’t be bothered to take my glove off to putt, but the received wisdom is that one should as putting is about “feel”. Does anyone else putt with their glove on and, for those who take it off, do you know for certain that it makes a difference for you?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I had to putt yesterday in rain gloves and hated it! To each their own though and if it works for you, who cares what the "respected wisdom" says... do what works for you.
@PhilTheFragger did you not notice me taking my gloves off for shots using 8iron down to putter? You must have hated the ripping sound! Although still preferrable to the sound of my voice, I'm sure! 🤣

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I had to putt yesterday in rain gloves and hated it! To each their own though and if it works for you, who cares what the "respected wisdom" says... do what works for you.
@PhilTheFragger did you not notice me taking my gloves off for shots using 8iron down to putter? You must have hated the ripping sound! Although still preferrable to the sound of my voice, I'm sure! 🤣
All I heard was the sound of my ball hitting the bottom of the cup...... :unsure: :love:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’ve always putted and chipped with my glove off. I just don’t feel comfortable otherwise. Does it make me any better? I very much doubt it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I chip and putt with the glove off. I guess I take the view that I only need it on for full shots so I take it off for everything else. I also means I can get a bit of air to my hand while walking to the green, and even the tan lines out a bit more as well. My "golfer's tan" is a bit less severe.

When it's raining I leave the rain glove on to putt and it probably doesn't make a vast difference, it just feels a bit odd because I've got used to putting without the glove on now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Glove off for putting, much better feel

In fact glove goes on and off for pretty much every shot tee to edge of the green

Can't be doing with a sweaty mitt

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Generally speaking, I will take my glove off after every shot only to replace it before setting up for my next. I suffer from warm hands and wearing a glove all the time makes my hand sweat and my glove wet. I don't wear a glove for putting either.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have putted with a glove on for years. Now feels strange to putt without one on.

It has made no difference to my putting. I am still a good putter🤩

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've putted with the glove on for quite some time, today I took it off for the first few and canned several putts - I guess it'll come off for my next round 😖😖

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I've putted with the glove on for quite some time, today I took it off for the first few and canned several putts - I guess it'll come off for my next round 😖😖
Not at Help for Heroes, unless you pay up! 🤣🤣🤣

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I generally leave mine on, although I know that it drives lots of people ups the wall for some reason.

If it’s a hot sunny day I’ll take it off between shots to try and even up the tan!

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can’t be bothered to take my glove off to putt, but the received wisdom is that one should as putting is about “feel”. Does anyone else putt with their glove on and, for those who take it off, do you know for certain that it makes a difference for you?
One could say that putting with the glove on, does give better purchase and release when the usual gimme putt is missed and a helicopter is called for.