Putting troubles

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Played in a local open competition at Aberdour GC yesterday, went round in 80 net 68 which got me buffer (Par 67 SSS67). Had a bit of a 'mare on the greens, couldn't get the pace as they were a lot slower than my course and a lot of hole positions that seemed to be on a slope. e.g. had a 10 foot downhill with a 2 foot break, felt like I just barely touched the ball and it's 8 foot past. Counting back I had six 3 putts and only one single putt, think my longest hole out was about 6 feet.

Used the putter 41 times out of 80, more than 50% of my total !!! - was so frustrating, think a few hours on the practice green beckons !!

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cannot remember where I read it that of the old adage line and length, length is more important than line. In essence the theory was that you can leave it 3 or 4 foot short. But you dont usually leave it 3 or 4 foot left or right.

When on the practice greens I always look for the speed of the greens before I focus more on the lines.

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Cannot remember where I read it that of the old adage line and length, length is more important than line. In essence the theory was that you can leave it 3 or 4 for short. But you dont usually leave it 3 or 4 foot left or right.

When on the practice greens I always look for the speed of the greens before I focus more on the lines.

Absolutely spot on.

The best lesson I ever got on putting was all about concentrating on pace. If your aim is off its never going to be as Tashyboy said, 3,4, or 5 feet out.

Pace is key to putting.

GeeJay

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you have a downhill putt that will run past the hole even from the faintest touch, the line is key surely?

Played on some fast and challenging greens a couple of weeks ago, and in some cases there was no chance of keeping the ball short of the hole.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you have a fast downhill putt, hit the ball right out of the toe of the putter.
If on the other hand the greens are slow, lengthen your backswing a touch

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
Cannot remember where I read it that of the old adage line and length, length is more important than line. In essence the theory was that you can leave it 3 or 4 foot short. But you dont usually leave it 3 or 4 foot left or right.

Good advice cheers. Felt that the pace did alter from green to green sometimes, they also slowed up a fair bit when the rain came on at the 11th - 16th.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
If you have a downhill putt that will run past the hole even from the faintest touch, the line is key surely?

Played on some fast and challenging greens a couple of weeks ago, and in some cases there was no chance of keeping the ball short of the hole.

Pin position was truly awful on a few holes, was playing with 2 members and even they commented on how poor the hole position was on a several greens.