Putting tip from 1969 - still works!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My putting has been very poor recently &, again, I missed a putt of 3 feet to the left of the hole. Distance control has been very poor recently & I’ve been having difficulty hitting the ball along the chosen line.

It was then that I remembered something I’d read years ago in the simplest, most helpful golf book I have ever possessed, “Play Better Golf” by John Jacobs. In the section on putting he says “For much of the time I played tournament golf I was a relatively poor putter and one of the reasons, I now realise was that I had let myself be influenced by some of the scores of clichés that attach to putting ‘method’”.

He says the two worst were, 1. “Take the putter straight back along the line” and 2. “Keep the putter head low to the ground” These are the two things I have been trying, without success, to do for some time.

So, on the 15[SUP]th[/SUP] today I tried letting the putter take a “natural” course back slightly inside the line & through. Result – 5 foot putt holed for birdie. 2 putts from 12 feet on 16 and then a curly 15 footer knocked in on 17 followed by a 12 footer on 18 right into the middle of the hole.

It just felt so much more comfortable and the ball was going exactly where I intended it to go. Looks like the fault wasn’t reading the greens, as I suspected it sometimes was, and more not hitting it where it was intended to go. Roll on Sunday & we’ll see if this works over 18 holes.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting. Funnily enough I was reading yesterday what Harry Vardon says about putting in his 1914 revision of his book orig. pub. 1905. So when you have a right to left borrow he talks about 'cutting' the ball to put a clockwise side-spin on the ball. This enables you to hit a straighter putt as the spin holds the ball on/up the slope until the very end when the side-spin dies and the ball falls down the slope into the tin. Might give it a go but don' think it's one for me.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Morning Bill, surprised you were struggling with the putter, coz I can remember mentioning your stroke was sublime.
Mind when you have 4" tap ins for a two, any stroke will do.
Hope alls well me man.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All I remember from 1969 was being 1 year old !
Blimey Bill you've aged well 😄
I read somewhere, can't remember where, that most people contrary to belief do not putt straight back and then straight through. But really putt as you say, with the putter head coming slightly naturally inside as it goes back then on the way forward it comes back naturally onto the line where the putter head then continues towards the hole both as you strike the ball and after/beyond.
This is how I putt.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
All I remember from 1969 was being 1 year old !
Blimey Bill you've aged well 
I read somewhere, can't remember where, that most people contrary to belief do not putt straight back and then straight through. But really putt as you say, with the putter head coming slightly naturally inside as it goes back then on the way forward it comes back naturally onto the line where the putter head then continues towards the hole both as you strike the ball and after/beyond.
This is how I putt.
Hey! I remember England winning the World Cup, & I wasn't in nappies then. Think what I've been doing is forcing the putter back straight, which doesn't work for me.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Morning Bill, surprised you were struggling with the putter, coz I can remember mentioning your stroke was sublime.
Mind when you have 4" tap ins for a two, any stroke will do.
Hope alls well me man.
That was an exceptional putting day & the straight back / straight through method sometimes works for the short ones. Hitting it quite well just now, Tash, which makes the putting all the more frustrating.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
That was an exceptional putting day & the straight back / straight through method sometimes works for the short ones. Hitting it quite well just now, Tash, which makes the putting all the more frustrating.

Had a decent year this year which is not quite reflected in me hcap, bet we all say that. but reading a book where dr Bob mentions not over thinking. Well when I had a 3 footer for me par on a hole I have never parred before in comp. I starts telling me PP re what this putt means. I put pressure on my self, it lipped out and so did the 2 footer. Oh how me flippin head went. Thing is our greens are real naughty re pace and slopes and I don't mind the long uns but that three footer will haunt me.
Could of been a right monkey on my back.

Alucard

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Only relevant if you have a putter which suits such a swing path

Seve used this Vardon tactic sometimes and he putted straight back and straight through on short puts but used an arc on longer puts and he used a ping anser stainless steel putter but he was a genius. Most of the greatest putters used the arc in their stroke, Ben Crenshaw, Loren Roberts the boss of the moss to name two.

Last edited:
G

guest100718

Keep looking at where the ball was for a few seconds after putt has gone is probably the best tip I have ever been given.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Important thing is not to garden gate it. Follow the path after you have hit it.

On the backswing your goal is to get the club to the ball square and on line. Do the swing that does that.