Putting stroke vs Putter style

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m currently using a face balanced blade putter, which, from time to time, works very well. In other moments, it, or rather the tube on the end of it, works poorly. According to the Ping app, I have a slight arc stroke so purely on that basis, my stroke and putter are at odds. Does this matter? Can I notice it? No idea.
To get to the point, I am seriously coveting a Yes Tracy II putter which has pronounced toe hang and would be considered ‘strong arc’ versus straight or slight arcs. So, who uses a putter that isn’t “fit for your stroke”? Does it make any difference to you? Is more toe hang bad for you if you don’t have a gating stroke? Does anyone care?

Thanks all

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've heard that, although the Ping or Odyssey suggestions are good for people looking for a new putter, the main thing that matter is the feel and your preference. If you like a club suited to a Slight Arc and you're a Straight putter, as long as you like it, it won't really make a difference.

I use 2 putters, an Odyssey No. 9 (meant for strong arc) and a Ping Ketsch (meant for a straight stroke). Both work well for me!!

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's a load of nonsense, use the putter you feel most confident with. I have 2 different types and I'm equally rubbish with both :mad:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I use 2 putters, an Odyssey No. 9 (meant for strong arc) and a Ping Ketsch (meant for a straight stroke). Both work well for me!!

I'm the same - ish.

Ping app says slight arc. The 2 putters I've gotten on best with over the last few years have been either toe straight down or face balanced. Put a slight toe hang putter in my hands and it looks like I'm pished when I take it away from the ball.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Having had the benefit of Callaway's team, and additional explanation and focus from Alex Noren, I have concluded that whilst you can putt with anything it really doesn't make a lot of sense to fight any natural inclinations (yours or the putters!)

I could putt really well for periods with my Monza Spider over the decade I used it, but from time to time we fell out. There was a mismatch and it would come to the fore whenever confidence dipped (for whatever reason).

I already had an Odessey 7 but didn't put in the necessary work to convert....as a result of the above session I was convinced to make a few changes in my set up (about 17 elements apparently - Alex was very precise!) and have stuck at it.

I now tend to miss due to misreads not pulled or pushed putts.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
When I had my putter fit and built, considerable time was sent getting the correct length as, for me, this had the biggest bearing on aim and posture.

My stroke suggested a face balanced blade and the figures backed it up on the Quintic fitting.

I would suggest looking into these areas ahead of a total change as they will be longer lasting and if more benefit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I had a SAM fit which recommended my Odyssey #9 but I still covert a blade, ideally a Ping Anser but having got several makes in the Anser style know it's something that doesn't suit my stroke and leads to issues. I have actually moved to a bigger putter (Works versa 2 ball fang) and love the stability and so think I'll stick with that. I haven't been tested for it but it seems to suit and I'm happy

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
For me it's like your irons,you need to be confident and happy with what you see hanging off your arms,Im a forward pressed with slight arc,use a heavy ,centre shafted mallet with pistol grip and 30in shaft that I came to through experimentation and liberal use of a hacksaw to a few old models in the shed...went through 3 styles of grip as well before I got to a place where my putter just feels "right"Great fun hacking around but now it's perfect after years of streaking putting with "good" putters and it's been in bag for a few years now.We are average joes mostly,some days loose and fluid,others tired and not so athletic or focused so a putter you love,custom or not is the answer imo....

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
I switched from a face balance Odyssey mallet, to a Scotty Go Lo which is slight toe hang. I have had a couple SAM sessions recently and last time I compared both putters. Having not used the Odyssey for 18 months it actually felt squarer back and through although I have a slight arc. Interestingly although I made about the same number of putts in the testing with each, the results clearly showed I was more consistent in face angle, arc and tempo with the Scotty (thank goodness!).

Agree that you can putt with anything but why have something that might not help your natural stroke. I am no expert but would recommend a SAM session....really opened my eyes to how technical putting actually is.

D

Deleted Member 1156

....really opened my eyes to how technical putting actually is.

After you have worked out your line and speed all you have to worry about is moving a clubface on the chosen line a couple of inches either side of the point of impact. How technical can that be?

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Consistency.........making sure that the path and face angle at impact is correct and consistent, that you aren't adding or subtracting loft, tempo, that your arc is not too open or closed so you slice across the ball. All the same stuff as a full swing but in miniature.....and, of course, where the margins of error are so much greater,

1 degree open or closed at impact means you miss a 8 or 10 foot putt.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Consistency.........making sure that the path and face angle at impact is correct and consistent, that you aren't adding or subtracting loft, tempo, that your arc is not too open or closed so you slice across the ball. All the same stuff as a full swing but in miniature.....and, of course, where the margins of error are so much greater,

1 degree open or closed at impact means you miss a 8 or 10 foot putt.

Do you think about all this stuff when you are making your putting stroke? I chose my line and speed then just swing the putter back and through.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Just thinking off the cuff. Do people learn to use the tool they have? If someone was given a putter they would go onto the practice green and learn to putt with it. It might be it suits an arc stroke or a straight back and through stroke. They'd learn which one suits best for that putter and then run with it. I'd hazard a guess that if they'd developed an arc swing and were then given a different putter they'd then learn a different stroke that that would give the best results with that putter.

I genuinely don't get this arc stroke, back and through stroke determines what type of putter you should have. I'd be tempted to say its marketing hype and pure rubbish. How you swing the putter, and whether or not you wave it around like Harry Potter casting a spell, is of little consequence if you have a square club face at the moment of strike.

Does Jim Furyk have toe hang irons with his quirky golf swing? No. All he has to ensure is the club face, at the point of impact, is square to the line. And a putter the swing goes back inches, not feet, and there isn't the torsional force that a full swing experiences.

I'd hazard a guess, maybe wrongly, that a half decent golfer can putt with any putter.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
It's a load of nonsense, use the putter you feel most confident with. I have 2 different types and I'm equally rubbish with both :mad:
I agree 100%. With the centre of gravity moved about 1 centimeter what difference will it make? You swing the putter with firm wrists (well, most people do) & any difference in where the c of g is unlikely to affect the stroke. Same with my M1. The draw / fade slider has no effect because, unlike on a machine, the head is not able to swing freely, it's guided by the hands. All a matter of what you feel confident with.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Straight back and through with a Ping Zing.

Putting is the main strength of my game and a huge part of how I got down to 11.

My putting from short range has been called robotic.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks all for the input. Views from both ends of the spectrum. Probably like many, I've become obsessed with the mantra "fit for stroke" so have always ruled out many putters purely on their 'arc' style, despite really liking the looks and feel. I am going to take the plunge and get my toy!

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Straight back and through with a Ping Zing.

Putting is the main strength of my game and a huge part of how I got down to 11.

My putting from short range has been called robotic.

Bet it's a slight arc. "Feel v Real"

Incidentally, John Jacobs said that part of the reason he didn't putt well enough was because he tried to swing straight back & through. Said he was convinced that the putter had to swing onto an inside path. I agree with him.

S

Snelly

After you have worked out your line and speed all you have to worry about is moving a clubface on the chosen line a couple of inches either side of the point of impact. How technical can that be?

Not technical at all. It is the easiest part of golf. It is simply just setting a golf ball rolling at the right speed on the right line and consequently, I am not sure why I am currently so dreadful at it! :)

Good putters can put well with anything in my view and bad putters can swallow as much marketing bilge as they like, they will still miss a 4 footer to win the match on the last hole.

It is 90% between the ears. Find a putter you like and practice putting until you can knock the ball in more often than not.