Putting seriously costly

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
Played in a club comp today.

On the whole, my driving, iron play, chipping and pitching were good. I lost loads of Stableford points on the green. I had too many 2 & 3 putts. On the long ones I was getting the ball relatively close, but when it came to the 6 ft putts and under I was missing far too many. (even missed a 3 footer today.
There was no tell tale signs however. They were going left and right of the hole.

Could this be down to poor alignment, poor stroke? It got to the stage where my confidence had evaporated when setting up for the short ones.

Any advice guys? Any drills or useful videos to help me cut down the number of putts please?

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Were you lining up and then questioning your choice of line while over the putt? I find I sometimes have the above happen to me when I question my line and then stand over the ball to long. Best thing to do is step back and start the routine again don't take the stroke until happy with your choosen line.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you get a chance to practice, try this...
Find a 6 foot putt that is straight and putt 3 balls at it. If you miss any, it cant be your reading of the green so it's either your aim or stroke. Then set down a club on the green to check your aim. If you're still missing it must be your stroke.
If you're having problems with the shorter ones that can often be caused by
  • too long a backswing causing you to slow own on the downswing
  • Peaking which can often turn your lower half
  • arms moving away/towards the body on the downswing.
  • wrists flicking
I suggest you try my chair drill.
Stand with your rear touching a chair/wall at home, keeping the pressure against the chair the same on both cheeks. Then stroke the putt, keeping the same pressure on both sides. That will help stop you peaking and moving your lower body
[video=youtube;vsTLHVK9DqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTLHVK9DqY&list=UUFeb2vdftHQESr49G8ZorhQ& index=47&feature=plcp[/video]