Putting Problems

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After a bit of help and hoping I can pick up some advice on here.

I'm struggling with distance control on my putting. I can read the line, the ball goes where I'm aiming but I just can't seem to get the length right at the moment which is really hurting me.

7 three putts in a net 70 (one over handicap) in the last strokeplay round is killing me.

I've been practising down on the putting green but I still can't get it right at the moment. Anyone got any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong or how I can fix this?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Is your putting stroke quite wristy like this?

badputt3jpgb.jpg

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've recently had lessons specifically for this. My Pro, gave me a timing drill which is combined with making sure the stroke is the same length back and forward (the markings on the V-Easy are good for this).
The idea is that you take the same time, say 1 second, for each no matter the length of the stroke. That gives you a consistent stroke and should stop 'hitting' and decceleration.
Then before your round, you test the green speed by making say a 9 inch stroke and a 15 inch stroke and measuring how far the ball travels for each.

Not all good news though, he also found my straight back and through to be more in to out - using the V-Easy in yet another of it's 101 guises. (You need to update the leaflet, Bob.)

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is your putting stroke quite wristy like this?

badputt3jpgb.jpg

No. At least, I don't think so. I'm playing later on today so I'll ge my mate to check. But I'm 99% sure its not.

It may sound a bit strange but I always putt much better on faster greens (wrong time of year, I know) as I tend to get a good roll on the ball. When you start having to give it a bit more, I struggle.

As I write that, I'm starting to feel that's my problem right there!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When you start having to give it a bit more, I struggle.

There's your problem.
Your backswing is the same length as for a fast putt, but as the greens are slow, you then have to "hit" the putt by flicking your right wrist.
I guess that's where your inconsistency is coming from.
Dont worry, as a teaching pro, I see this alot so you are not alone.
For the longer putts, try making the backswing a touch longer
Hth

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When you start having to give it a bit more, I struggle.

There's your problem.
Your backswing is the same length as for a fast putt, but as the greens are slow, you then have to "hit" the putt by flicking your right wrist.
I guess that's where your inconsistency is coming from.
Dont worry, as a teaching pro, I see this alot so you are not alone.
For the longer putts, try making the backswing a touch longer
Hth

That makes sense, Bob. I played at Forest Pines this morning and my distance control was excellent because the ball would roll out and I just had to put a good stroke on it.

I use a Yes Natalie putter which puts a great roll on the ball but is quite light. I was thinking about switching back to my (heavier) Ping putter until the greens improve as that might give me a bit more oomph without having to "hit" the ball.

Is that a reasonable plan or should I stick with Natalie? :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I suggest you choose whichever putter you prefer, stick with it and sell the other.
Either wise, you'll end up with one for fast greens, one for medium fast one for medium....etc, etc.
Just remember, once you start using your shoulders AND your wrists, you'll not know where it's going.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that's sensible. I'll stick with Natalie.

I won't sell the Ping as I've had it years (won it in a competition) and it has served me well in the past. Plus you never know when you might need a spare.

I'm not someone who chops and changes clubs much. I had the Ping for 12 years before sacking it. I knew if I putted badly, it was me and not the putter. Unlike a good friend of mine, who probably has about 50 putters in the garage. He'll sack one at the drop of a hat.

I just lost all confidence with the Ping suddenly, I persevered for a while but it was getting worse. Hence, Natalie.

Its just been massively frustrating as I've always putted well on good greens - the quicker, the better as far as I'm concerned - as I get a good roll on the ball.

I'll get the V-Easy out and take it up to the course. I did try it on the putting green but I think I need to head out and practice on a couple of proper greens with it.