Putting left hand below right (right handed)

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Evening all.Just wondering if anyone putts this way or knows if it causes any problems?After another embarrassing display on the greens today I spoke to the pro who had a quick look.The problem is that my shoulders are open, in order to align correctly he got me to tuck my right elbow into my side.With my usual grip this was really uncomfortable and was sttuggling even more.Left hand below right though was a revelation. Basically just worrying about pace as lined up correctly.Anyone else putt like this?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Tried it as it's logically a much simpler/more reliable way to get the shoulders working correctly.

Just feels so un-natural that I can't get on with it! Especially from the long distances I tend to give myself!:angry:

T

thecraw

Use it for a couple of weeks and it'll feel natural sooner than later.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Loads of touring pros use it, tried it myself and it does give a very solid stroke and feel. Only issue immediately will be judging distances with it but as Craw says try it for awhile and it will soon be comfortable.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I switched to left hand low about 4 mths ago and I'm sticking with it.

I was too wristy before so this way it keeps the wrist quiet. Takes some getting used to and I found judging distance very tricky but thats because I'm now using my shoulders instead of the hands.

Accuracy improved a lot and I'm now holing out from 5ft a bit more often. Still some way to go but getting better with this grip.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
yup - i putt that way - been doing it for 2/3 years now - feels very natural to me now
and yes - porridge does/did putt that way ;)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
OH MY GOD! Why did I never try this before???! It's a revelation for me, used to be far too wristy and missed left or missed right, just had a crack in living room based on this thread, and god damn I am a living room putting Demi god! Ok my living room is only about a 15ft putt, but I just holed about 90% of them from the get go! (old style was more like 50%) This is deffo going with me on the course, in fact, I am going to the range at lunch and will take my putter and attack the putting green! Thanks guys!

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I started putting left hand low last year, was looking for more consistancy and spoke to a friend who does this, he putts very well, so thought I would give a go. I believe it allows your shoulders to remain more square through the strike, but i stand to be corrected if wrong. I like it, felt odd for a little while, but its second nature now 4 or so months later, and for me it makes a difference, was playing with the chap at the weekend and was saying how well it was going, and he was saying its better in the summer too when the greens are slicker, looking forward to it :) give it a go on the practice green, it could be a revelation .....

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before all the belly putters, this method used to be the first refuge for the dodgy putter.

Ethan, dodgy would be a compliment to my putting at the moment :mad:

On the weekend I had 7 birdie putts from within 10 feet and missed the lot.

I've been messing about and can line my shoulders up correctly with my hands level on the putter so going to whack a midsize grip on an old putter and see how I go with that rather than left hand below which feels a bit weird.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mate actually hits the ball with his left hand below right even though he is right handed. Wierdest thing I have ever seen but he plays off 8 and will probably get a couple off that this year.