Putting - head inside line of ball

ellissmith

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm trying to put with a 'straight back and through' stroke. Just wondering if that's possible if my head is inside the line of the ball.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I can never get my head around this, in my view to have a straight back and straight through, without manipulation in the wrists requires the swing path i.e. the hula hoop to be vertical, that would need the shoulders to be rotating around an axis parrallel to the ground? Is that possible without looking like michelle wie?

What am I missing?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As a general rule your head should be over the ball to read the line correctly.

If you want to check where you are looking.

Take 2 golf balls
Put the one down and place stance etc where you are thinking you are looking straight down on it. Take the other ball hold it between your eyes then let it go. It should drop on the top of the other ball.

Disclaimer - I accept no responsibility for any injury sustained carrying out this procedure.:LOL:

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can never get my head around this, in my view to have a straight back and straight through, without manipulation in the wrists requires the swing path i.e. the hula hoop to be vertical, that would need the shoulders to be rotating around an axis parrallel to the ground? Is that possible without looking like michelle wie?

What am I missing?
Yes you are part correct.

There will always be a point where the shoulders start to rotate but that is normally well beyond any fairly normal back swing in a putter stroke. Any rotation in the forward swing after the ball has been struck is irrelevant as this will normally be a fair distance afterwards.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't like having my head exactly over the line. I feel unbalanced so my head is inside the ball.

I dont worry about it all tbh. I read the putt from behind and pick a spot a foot or so infront of the ball to roll it over.

ellissmith

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I adopted a 'left hand low' grip a few years ago and I think it has helped me to be more consistent in my stroke. But having watched a Jordan Spieth video where he practises by keeping his putter parallel to an alignment rod, I have tried to do the same. My right eye is dominant and my head naturally wants to stay inside the line. Also I'm thinking about buying a new putter and wondered whether a face balanced putter would help a straight stroke

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. I adopted a 'left hand low' grip a few years ago and I think it has helped me to be more consistent in my stroke. But having watched a Jordan Spieth video where he practises by keeping his putter parallel to an alignment rod, I have tried to do the same. My right eye is dominant and my head naturally wants to stay inside the line. Also I'm thinking about buying a new putter and wondered whether a face balanced putter would help a straight stroke

Centre shafted brings the ball slightly closer to your body and tends to be better for straight back and forward.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
If I were you Id try and get fit by someone reputable before buying a new putter. Or at least get someones opinion.

Just having a look at the strokes gained stats you see a lot of the top guys actually have eyes inside the line (sometimes extremely inside). Zach Johnson being the obvious example.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Dave Pelz the putting guru worked on the basis of a pendulum (straight back and straight through) putting stroke (rather than inside to inside), but he didn’t insist eyes over the ball / line. His theory was something around the centre of gravity of the combined arms, hands and putter being vertically under the eyes, but not necessarily the putter head.

Boomy

Visit site
Thanks Jim, I'll have to try a centre shafted putter out as it might help if I'm a bit nearer the ball.

I use a centre shafted Odyssey 2ball for this very reason. It works really well for me, better line of sight over the ball and for a straighter back and through stroke.

41838883-DC83-49F4-8B64-BE86F712A1D7.jpeg