Putting grips

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Query not in regards to how we hold the clubs not the different types of grips there are (though they may be linked).

So have started my serious of putting lessons and on Sam Puttlab was determined my biggest failure at present is putting tempo which is causing me to have poor distance control- having a ratio of 1.5:1 to even as low as 1:1. So have been given drills and use of metronome to try and help with this, also using my swingpro to try and get nearer to 2:1 - 2.1:1 and getting the jist of it though think it could be a winter long process.

My 2nd issue was closed face at impact, the longer the putt the more extreme it gets... I think a lot of this had to do with my traditional interlock grip of the club. In terms of grip I have I got a superstroke 2.0 put on as I felt it stopped me being wristy. I have tried left hand low and really can't get on with it at all having no control over the club. I have mucked about with varying the number of fingers I have interlocked which squares my shoulders more and helps me keep the face squarer through impact (So almost a prayer grip with all fingers most ideal), but at the same time the more fingers I have interlocked the less secure the club feels?!?!?

Just wondering if there are other grips out there other than left hand low that people would maybe feel would help? Or has anybody else had this issue and can offer some advice?

I'm not due to see pro for another 3 weeks. At the last lesson he was happy enough with my setup.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It sounds as if you have either
a strong grip
or
Lower body/hip movement
or both.
Do you have a strong grip with the rest of your clubs ?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It sounds as if you have either
a strong grip
or
Lower body/hip movement
or both.
Do you have a strong grip with the rest of your clubs ?

I do have a neutral to strong grip but maybe that is my first port of call. I try to have a rock the baby type feel when I hit but maybe feel isn't = to real so i'll need to have a video and look.

The 2 thumb is kinda similar to my multiple finger locking grips foxholler- it doesn't really show in that video how Denis is using his other fingers how to grip the club

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The 2 thumb is kinda similar to my multiple finger locking grips foxholler- it doesn't really show in that video how Denis is using his other fingers how to grip the club

I have seen some use 4 finger overlapping and others using 4 finger interlocking!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
II try to have a rock the baby type feel when I hit but maybe feel isn't = to real so i'll need to have a video and look.

No need for a video, just up as per the video below with your rear pressing on the chair.

[video=youtube;vsTLHVK9DqY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTLHVK9DqY&index=15&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3 OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

Then, make your stroke, keeping the pressure on the chair the same with both 'cheeks'
If you move your hips, you'll feel the pressure change

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No need for a video, just up as per the video below with your rear pressing on the chair.

[video=youtube;vsTLHVK9DqY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsTLHVK9DqY&index=15&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3 OUldKvQT7ZWYEmPOyW[/video]

Then, make your stroke, keeping the pressure on the chair the same with both 'cheeks'
If you move your hips, you'll feel the pressure change

Thanks Bob I will try that- I notice that even in that video that the face will naturally close after impact so could it be something as simple as ball position?

I try to address it with feet closed and ball slightly left of middle and shaft straight up through sternum then move feet out and have shaft in same position with no tilt

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Bob I will try that- I notice that even in that video that the face will naturally close after impact so could it be something as simple as ball position?

It could be but I doubt it.
It's more likely to be your hips turning or your neutral to strong grip is closing the face.