Putting Grip, set-up and general tips

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey chaps. I've been struggling with my putting recently, and have started really trying to get interested in the mechanics of putting, and what goes into making a good putting stroke. One thing that caught my attention, having watched quite a lot of the pro's recently is the use of the left-below-right putting grip. Apparently Jack Nicklaus said that if he could go back and change anything about his game, he'd have putted with that style grip. After doing a bit of research into the grip, the biomechanics make a lot of sense. It helps the shoulders stay level encouraging the pendulum motion of the swing, and also calms down a lot of the potential wrist interaction that a typical right-below-left grip encourages. Here's a video of Piers from Me & My Golf breaking down the grip:

[video=youtube;TC4rgtOa8OQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC4rgtOa8OQ[/video]

What do you think? Have you tried it out? How did you get on with it?

I'm heading down to the range tonight, and planning on having a good session on the putting green trying to implement the left-below-right and seeing how I get on with it. My putting has been atrocious recently. At Lancaster the other weekend I hit 41% of greens in reg, but still shot 91 thanks to having 2.29 putts per hole and 7 3-putts and a 4-putt, which is just awful. 2.29 wasn't a bad day either. My last 3 proper rounds I've had 2.29, 2.22 and 2.28 putts per hole, which just isn't good enough. So I wondered if you had any other videos, or books you would suggest I watch/read? Or any general putting tips I should consider? I'm looking at you the_coach ;)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've not had mine that long, and do really like my putter. I think it's definitely a matter of lack of technique, rather than the wrong putter. I don't think I'd be any better with any other putter. It's going to need hard work, and lots of technique practice.