Putting drills?

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking for some putting drills for the practice green. I work next to a driving range so lunch time is a good time to get some winter practice in. Cheers

jeardley

Head Pro
Visit site
I just drop 2 balls on the green and chase one round round with the other.
Sounds simple but you always get a different lie, distance and speed and
by concentrating on hitting another ball its smaller than the actual hole so works
on focus a bit. On shorter putts i concentrate on hitting it sqaure so the object ball it doesnt go off at an angle.

Simples :)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
for grooving a stoke with a face ballanced putter (straight back and though) my mate had two thick lumps of wood anout 2 ft long. he puts between them. if he hits the wood he know for sure which way the putter head has gone. it works for him he's a great putter.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
12 x 3 foot putts - 3 from each point of the compass. If you miss you start again might not seem that difficult at 1st but those last couple the pressure starts to build!

Lee Skidmore

www.insuregolf.co.uk
Two drills for you to try that will really help,

1) Putt to a tee-peg with at least three balls from the same distance so for example 3 from 10ft, 3 from 20ft etc. Once practiced for at least 30 mins work on the same distance to a actual hole. The hole will seem huge and really give your confidence a boost!

2) For short putts (say 5 ft) place a coin or a small tee peg into the back lip of the cup so effectively in the hole (just dont let the greenkeeper catch you!) then hit putts focusing on hitting the coin or tee peg in the back of the cup. This will really help improve your focus on a specific point in the cup rather than the hole as a whole!

Try them, hope this helps!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Go on then, I'll pitch in with one of mine.

Put a tee peg 18" to 2ft behind the hole.

Start at about 5ft, aiming tpo hole the putt. If the putt misses left, or right the idea is to get the ball to finish between the hole and tee peg, past the hole.

Moving out to lag putts >20ft. You do exactly the same. Try and hole the putt, but give the ball enough pact to finish as previos, between the hole and tee peg past the hole.

The drill encourages you to play a stroke that gives enough pace to hole the putt, but not so much that it makes the return putt tricky.

Never up, never in and all that :thup: