Putting Drills

Picto

Club Champion
Visit site
It's fair to say that my putting is probably my worst part of my game - not that the rest of my game is that up to scratch, but my putting is terrible - 3 putts are the norm - even a few 4 putts per round <insert red face smiley here>

So, I've decided that I'm really going to work on my putting - I have to "earn" time on the driving range only by completing some putting drills on the practice greens before I can go and have fun whacking the big sticks!

I found that distance control was particularly bad, either leaving putts well short or sending them well past the hole - even off the other side of the green!

I came up with a new drill that has really helped with that distance control. I put a few tees down in distances where I struggle the most and then lie one of my other clubs, say, 2ft past the hole.

The idea is that for every putt that I sink from one of the tee locations, I give myself a point. For every putt I leave short, I loose a point and for every putt that I hit so far past the hole it hits the club I laid out, I deduct two points. I then set myself a target of say 10 points before I'm allowed to leave the practice green and go and get my post driving range pint! I also guess that I could swap the -1 and -2 points round if I found I went back to underhitting more again.

It seems to really focus the mind as I was desperate for that pint last night, but ended up on -5 before I knew it, making me work even damn harder to get it!!

Has anyone else got any other good drills that might also help improve my putting??

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yes, very. I've been very consciously working on my "pendulum" stroke as I think that my wristy action is a big part of the problem...

People who are wristy can often have problems controlling their distance.
If you watch most of the best putters on tour, their lower body is very still and their wrists are not flicky.
You have to cut down the amount of movement in the rest of your body so only the shoulders move. That way, you only have one set of muscles to control.
My invention may help

http://www.v-easy.co.uk/

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
People who are wristy can often have problems controlling their distance.
If you watch most of the best putters on tour, their lower body is very still and their wrists are not flicky.
You have to cut down the amount of movement in the rest of your body so only the shoulders move. That way, you only have one set of muscles to control.
My invention may help

http://www.v-easy.co.uk/

He might be 135 years old but his mind is still as sharp as a tack and never one to miss an opportunity. To be fair to elderly forum guru, the V-Easy is superb and will really help you cut the wristy action out of the game and feel the pendulum motion with a rocking of the shoulders. Get your one direct from Bob as he needs to pay the nurse