Putting Drills

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When putting, particularly from under 6 or so feet, I tend to try and just drop the ball into the hole instead of committing and this is resulting in the ball taking every last little bit of break and bobble and missing the hole. Must have done a Rory about 3 times in each of my last couple of rounds and is stopping me getting the good score the rest of my game deserves. Has anyone got any tips and drills for me to try to make sure I hit the putt with some purpose and take out the short misses - apart for "just hit it a bit harder!"

Cheers for your help.

crdb

Visit site
I got told about a drill where you take the backswing to 'x' for 'y' distance. Been practicing that & my putting has improved. For example, 6ft putt, my backswing goes to my big toe on my right foot, 12ft, goes to my little toe on right foot etc. bit of work on the putting green & I was maximum 2 putting on the greens, holding a lot more putts from around 10-15ft for birdie, gone from the worst part of my game to the best inside a week.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When putting, particularly from under 6 or so feet, I tend to try and just drop the ball into the hole instead of committing and this is resulting in the ball taking every last little bit of break and bobble and missing the hole. Must have done a Rory about 3 times in each of my last couple of rounds and is stopping me getting the good score the rest of my game deserves. Has anyone got any tips and drills for me to try to make sure I hit the putt with some purpose and take out the short misses - apart for "just hit it a bit harder!"

Cheers for your help.

Not the best for advice on this subject as I’m also a dribbler but working on something that is helping at the moment.

Effectively a ladder drill

Flat putts-

A tee past the hole at 1ft and 2ft
I try to always leave the put closer to the 1ft tee and never past the 2ft, it encourages me to use the hole for the line but the tees for pace.

Uphill
As above but use three tees, 6inch, 18inches and 24inchs. Never want to be more than 2ft past with a slippery down hill putt.

I’ve been reading dr bobs book on putting freely, sticking to this I’m not worried if I’m lipping out from 10ft as pace and line must have been ok, it then becomes down to better reading.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
- apart for "just hit it a bit harder!"

Cheers for your help.
Never hit a putt harder, in fact never hit a putt.
A putt should be stroked. IMHO
The distance the ball goes depends on the length of the back/front stroke.
For very short putts have a very narrow stance and swing back to your big toe.
As the distance increases the stance should get wider but still swing back to your big toe.
Obviously a long uphill putt may mean you have to swing back further.

Go to your putting green and try a few stances from 6 feet until the ball goes just passed the hole and memorize the width.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've heard of people practicing with a 'ghost hole' ie a hole made out of a flat plastic circle and the idea is to get it at least six inches past but less than eighteen inches.
Practice 10 times from different directions see how many you get in the right range then try and beat it next time.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never hit a putt harder, in fact never hit a putt.
A putt should be stroked. IMHO
The distance the ball goes depends on the length of the back/front stroke.
For very short putts have a very narrow stance and swing back to your big toe.
As the distance increases the stance should get wider but still swing back to your big toe.
Obviously a long uphill putt may mean you have to swing back further.

Go to your putting green and try a few stances from 6 feet until the ball goes just passed the hole and memorize the width.

Jesus bob, are you putting with pebbles!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a great putting session last night. Been struggling and flip flopping between putters but got the Anser PLD out (love the milled face feel) and made a slight tweak to the grip and stroke to feel as though my work hand is feeding more down the line towards the hole. Seems to be keeping it squarer. Got my Visio mat and gates out and it was going through the middle sized gate (0.75 degree of margin of error offline) with ease. Did some drills at 3,4 and 5 feet and then 6, 7, and 8 feet and some 20-30 footers for pace control. Very pleased so it's in the bag at the weekend and need to stick with the changes

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best I have seen is get a flat straight putt.
Put an alignment stick or shaft of another club close to the hosel in front of the lip of the hole .
Make sure you swing hard enough to just get the ball over the stick / shaft.
Really good if your consistently short.