Putting an alignment dot on a club

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi.

Just wondering if its legal to put an alignment dot on one of my clubs.

I have a cleveland classic hybrid, but I just don't feel totally confident aligning my shots compared to other clubs which have alignment aods on the head.

Also what would you recommend I use to do it with??

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No problem as far as I know, as long as you don't do it in the middle of a round.

If it were me, I'd do it with something that's easy to remove, like tippex or even a sticker.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd check the rules first.

I'd imagine anything permanent / semi permanent would be ok from my recollections of wordings.

I suspect easy to remove would be a bad idea, as I think I can recall Sandy Lyle supposedly having issues with a putter where he'd put something like black tape on the top to stop the glare from the sun and because it was so easy to remove it may have been an issue. i think that's one of the reasons adjustable drivers have torque wrenches to adjust and I heard of a putter that weight or length could be adjusted on and that required more than human strength to alter.

Edit http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-on-Clubs-and-Balls/Clubs/

check part a out located, particularly the part just above part b in the link.

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
To save having to navigate away and look through it all the relevant part is:

A guide to the rules on clubs and balls. Section 5:1:iv said:
Attachments to the clubhead (other than the face), such as protective coverings, or decorative items or alignment aids, provided the item is semi-permanent, durable and not easily removable. However, such items must not excessively protrude from the clubhead and must conform to the shape of the clubhead. Also, for driving clubs, such attachments must not serve to cause any confusion with the correct identification of a club on the Conforming Driver List. Permanent additions to a clubhead would be considered part of the head and, therefore, the head, in its modified state, would have to conform to Appendix II, 4 of the Rules (i.e. for dimensions and "plain in shape").

I once used a smiley face golf dotz on the crown of a drive over the existing alignment mark just to help remind me to enjoy the game regardless of where the ball went off the face :D. They are actually very useful for this purpose.