Putter regrip what to do.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been thinking of getting my putter regripped and shortened by an inch as I currently grip right down at the bottom. Current length in 34" so I'd be taking it to 33. Would be going for a fatter grip than normal as well but I'm worried the work might mess up the balance. Any advice appreciated.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i put a fat grip on my scotty. it has improved my putting no end this year! wont be going back to the thin grips any time soon id say! go for it. if you dont like it you can always change back.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
What grip did you go for Gary? I was thinking superstroke put find them a little to fat and also considered a two thumb turned 90* but I'm not really fussed by it either. Was thinking maybe a slim version of the superstroke or a jumbo pistol type grip.

One other question. Anyone know if there is a putter grip thats maybe an inch or two longer than standard so I can still grip down without cutting down the shaft?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it doesn't work yout can always return it to its original length etc. Is an inch enough? I would have thought two might have seen your bands return to the middle of the grip after seeing you putt.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bob, super stroke have a few variations on the grips, I have one that's not a lot diff from a standard, and its great, think craw just put the size up from mine on his putter and said it was good job, check the review section :)

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
If it doesn't work yout can always return it to its original length etc. Is an inch enough? I would have thought two might have seen your bands return to the middle of the grip after seeing you putt.

Was worried 2" might take a little to much off. I'll probably end up gripping down either way :-D

Bob, super stroke have a few variations on the grips, I have one that's not a lot diff from a standard, and its great, think craw just put the size up from mine on his putter and said it was good job, check the review section :)

Was thinking of that. Think the slim might be the answer. Espeacially since they have an even diameter across the length. Biggest issue is finding somewhere I can get my hand onto them and have a feel. I thought the large SS was a bit chunky for me when I had a go with someones.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I had a 34" putter.

I got a new grip (different from original), had it shortened by 90mm, to compensate had the lie and loft adjusted to suit my set up.

Now the sole of the putter is parallel to the ground on set up and right through my stroke, I strike ever so slightly up on the ball to get it rolling sooner with no skid or hops. But most importantly I'm holding the putter grip in both hands. My stats have improved from 36 PPR to between 30/31.

Get the whole thing set up to suit you and you will feel so much more confident and it will perform better for you.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I use a 33" with mid-size grip.Perfect for me - though will probably putt like a dog this afternoon, having said that.Balance can be affected very slightly, but if you grip down anyway it shouldn't be noticeable.It's really only when you get below 33" that adjustment considerations come into play - though pre-built 33" putters frequently are 10gms (less than half an ounce - so very little) heavier.

Warbur

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've had my putters cut down to 32" for the last few years. Always gripped down but had issues with the butt snagging on my clothes in the winter. I've never noticed any issue with the balance being affected and love my diddly scotty.

I go with a slightly fatter grip (or a couple of extra layers of tape) but this is personal preference.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thanks guys, I've ordered a few medium sized grips from gamola to give a try and see how I like them and will probably be getting 2" taken of the length. Can't wait. If my putting doesn't improve a little then at least I'll have a nice looking grip on my putter :)