Putter/putting question

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Probably one for Bob this, but as always, all opinions welcome.

My current putting stroke is a slight forward press, straight back and through.

My current putter has 2.5* of loft

I've noticed some small chips towards the top of the polymer insert since I've started using the forward press as part of my putting stroke.

Would a putter with a little more loft, say 4* be a better option for a putting stroke that includes a forward press?

Thanks in advance.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, and maybe even more depending on the severity of the forward press. I use a slight press and think my putter was moved to 6 degrees I think.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Depends on the ball position and if the shaft leans too much towards the hole.
Do you notice the ball skidding or jumping at all at first?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Depends on the ball position and if the shaft leans too much towards the hole.
Do you notice the ball skidding or jumping at all at first?

Bob - My stance is quite narrow and play the ball slightly forward in my stance, just under my left eye. The shaft lean is not excessive, nothing like Mickleson. Just very slight forward press.

As for the ball coming off the face. It seems to skid off the face at impact, definatly doesn't jump.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yes, and maybe even more depending on the severity of the forward press. I use a slight press and think my putter was moved to 6 degrees I think.

I think you're onto something Chris. 2.5* Isn't much when you factor in a forward press. I think I read somewhere Micklesons' putter has something like 7*+ of loft.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It sounds ok then.
If you were pressing forward too much, the ball would be forced down and would bounce

Thanks Bob

The main reason for my post is related to another thread regarding a visit to the American Golf sale and trying a Scotty Cameron putter.

When hitting it, it just felt a lot smoother, It's very hard to describe. I guess it was mainly the feel off the face. My club has an insert, whereas the Scotty has a milled face.

Having read up, the Scotty has 4* of loft compared to my current putters 2.5* and wondered if this could be reason for the "Improved" feeling off the face?