Putter inserts.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
of late now greens are slowing up im finding its getting more frequent for me to leave putts short. I know this is a case of just getting used to the pace, but a couple of boys i play with tend to have a winter and a summer putters.

This got me thinking back to when i used the rossa agsi mallet, the insert seemed to create more roll which was great on slow winter greens, but in the summer on fast greens was a bit hard to control on short tricky putts. This summer i swapped to a rossa montecarlo which has a soft insert, and im wondering if its now worth going back to a harder insert putter for the winter.

anyones thoughts?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When i had a soft insert putter i really struggled on slower greens. Since i've been using the Scotty i get a much better roll on all greens. I've a lighter sc for when the greens are really fast, but didn't use it this year!!!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
so its no unknown for people with soft putter inserts to struggle on slow greens. what im finding is im either lagging up about 25% short, or in an effort to get it to the hole going a metre past, distances based on around 15-20ft puts. and before anyone says it yes i know it would be easier to get closer on the approach shots ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not just slow greens, but i struggled on large greens with a soft putter insert too. Not had that problem this year since switching.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If you shop around you can get scottys pretty cheap i got my heavy studio select for £120 from the pro at Tain. if he can do them for that price others must also.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've had Odyssey putters before and struggled, distance-wise, on anything longer than about 10 feet. I know it's me as a lot of people use them but I was never comfy with long putts. With my RedX I do.

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm loving my yes putter, no inserts works best for me, I had an odyssey putter with a black insert and I used to fly the ball around the fast greens out here, I much prefer the feel of my current putter.

Cheers
Andy

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Another vote for the YES! C-Groove here too.

I struggled to be consistant around the distance you say with my previous Taylormade Vicino Spider. Since switching to the YES! I find the feel of pace and distance on most greens has improved.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
two things interesting have come from this, A few lovers of the yes C groove, i had a yes amy and found it very hit and miss, so its not in a friends bag. secondly, a few votes for the red-x, i was going to buy one off rickG, but couldnt click with it, so it went back.

outcome... maybe the issue is with technique and not my putter

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putters are such a feel thing. I must have spent a fortune on them. Then about 4yrs ago tried a cheap £40 bargin bin one. It just worked from the first ball I hit. What I think I'm trying to say is there is one out there with your name on it. Not always the top end ones.

Monty_Brown

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Another dimension to consider in this is choice of ball. I play a harder ball in winter as softer greens and fairways mean you want more distance and less stop. Harder ball means firmer feel off the putter face as well. Maybe you could try a few different balls on the putting green before looking for a new putter? It would be a cheaper option!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was told that the soft inserts were largely for the US greens which are generally much faster than ours. Like you OS I tend to go to a harder ball in the winter - I do like the Maxfli Noodle Soft, it's just about getting used to the less spin on the chips which takes me a couple of games

Chris

RobbOnTheRock

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Putters are such a feel thing. I must have spent a fortune on them. Then about 4yrs ago tried a cheap £40 bargin bin one. It just worked from the first ball I hit. What I think I'm trying to say is there is one out there with your name on it. Not always the top end ones.

Yeah, gotta say my Carolyne was like that, love at first feel......."oh ere misses"

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
to be fair chris i dont find the ad333 to hard when it comes to chipping, im just getting some very inconsistent putting results.

I've used them too and find that I can chip and putt ok with them but there is a transition period when moving to them from, say, a Z Star

Chris