Putter handle lengths. Short only?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You started this conversation by saying it was too open to interpretation, yet in your proposed alteration you use the vaguest terms possible. :LOL: Maybe it's not that easy?
What about all putters must be below the level of your belly button.;)
Custom fitting would be interesting.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You started this conversation by saying it was too open to interpretation, yet in your proposed alteration you use the vaguest terms possible. :LOL: Maybe it's not that easy?
Let me make this simple for you. If you go into a golf shop and look at putters, you will see that the grips are all pretty much the same length approx 10-12 inches. If the authorities implemented a 'convential grip' rule then it isn't rocket science to limit the length of the grip. If you can't understand that then I can't help you.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Let me make this simple for you. If you go into a golf shop and look at putters, you will see that the grips are all pretty much the same length approx 10-12 inches. If the authorities implemented a 'convential grip' rule then it isn't rocket science to limit the length of the grip. If you can't understand that then I can't help you.
Arguably Langer wouldn't need the bottom grip, he can just hold the shaft with the light pencil-style grip. He's clearly determined to use the long putter so he'd get round that legislation no problem.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Langer actually explains exactly how he uses the long putter in this video:
He doesn't anchor the putter. What he does (and makes no secret of) is that he wraps his thumb around the putter grip and anchors his thumb against his chest.
So he has the putter firmly against his thumb, which in turn is firmly pressed to his chest. The putter grip itself doesn't touch his chest.

To my mind, this is "indirect anchoring", and that's against the spirit of the rules, if not the letter.
To my mind that's anchoring full stop end of story.
The hands have to be free.
Where the shaft touches doesn't come into it.
Holding the top of the shaft of a broomhandle and fastening your hand to your chin or chest is anchoring
Langer, by his own admission, anchors his thumb to his chest, his thumb is in contact with the shaft, therefore he's anchoring.
If Langer's method is OK then so was every other broomhandle user's method.
Others will disagree and that's fine.
But as far as I'm concerned he's anchoring.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with this.
The only reason Langer and Scott use them is they are not good with a conventional putter.
The reason they putt well with them is they practice for hours on end.
If they were a miracle everyone would have one.
This is going back a bit now but I seem to remember that the authorities were getting worried that young golfers going through the US college system were starting to be coached using the broom handle method. There may not have been many out there at the time, just the old guys who's putting game had collapsed, but the next generation would have mainly appeared using them. Others can correct me here but I seem to remember this as an argument put forward.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is going back a bit now but I seem to remember that the authorities were getting worried that young golfers going through the US college system were starting to be coached using the broom handle method. There may not have been many out there at the time, just the old guys who's putting game had collapsed, but the next generation would have mainly appeared using them. Others can correct me here but I seem to remember this as an argument put forward.
I remember there were stories.
But they could have copied Langers style that’s been ok by usga and R&A I presume.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember there were stories.
But they could have copied Langers style that’s been ok by usga and R&A I presume.
I think they weren't worried when it was a few old timers stretching their career out but when it started to look like a coached method for youngsters it set alarm bells ringing. It wasn't how they wanted golf to be.