Putter handle lengths. Short only?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got a 38". No locking or anchoring involved just a normal putter grip. I use it as I'm tall and the longer shaft just makes it that bit more comfortable, less strain on the lower back
This makes sense people are different heights.
As long as it’s avaliable to everyone I can’t see a problem.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Now that's a (slightly) different question!
Been a while since I've seen his technique, but he was definitely 'close to anchoring' (supposedly) without actually doing so. With all the cameras/angles available, I'm certain there'd be uproar if he was actually anchoring!
Well they claim that his left hand is pinned against his chest. Golf authorities are obviously satisfied that it isn't. And I don't believe Langer would cheat, personally. I think the top hand is close to his chest, but not touching so he's fine.
This highlights my point perfectly. Nobody can tell for certain when a player anchors or not.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Our perception is not relevant though, it's still black and white, he either anchors it or he doesn't. :LOL:
Langer actually explains exactly how he uses the long putter in this video:
He doesn't anchor the putter. What he does (and makes no secret of) is that he wraps his thumb around the putter grip and anchors his thumb against his chest.
So he has the putter firmly against his thumb, which in turn is firmly pressed to his chest. The putter grip itself doesn't touch his chest.

To my mind, this is "indirect anchoring", and that's against the spirit of the rules, if not the letter.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Langer actually explains exactly how he uses the long putter in this video:
He doesn't anchor the putter. What he does (and makes no secret of) is that he wraps his thumb around the putter grip and anchors his thumb against his chest.
So he has the putter firmly against his thumb, which in turn is firmly pressed to his chest. The putter grip itself doesn't touch his chest.

To my mind, this is "indirect anchoring", and that's against the spirit of the rules, if not the letter.
Hmm, that does sound a bit dodgy the way he worded it actually, haha. Hopefully he just has the thumb there to make sure the shaft doesn't contact his chest. I'm not sure the thumb was wedged right against him was it? I suppose the putter is still moving and not fixed. Again though, I guess the authorities are satisfied.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
D

Deleted Member 1156

What can you say? Some people are never satisfied. What would you do, set a maximum length of putter at say 40 inches?
I actually don't care. Either ban long putters altogether or allow them with no restrictions. I don't buy into the argument that they give you an advantage, if people think that then there is nothing to stop them using one.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I actually don't care. Either ban long putters altogether or allow them with no restrictions. I don't buy into the argument that they give you an advantage, if people think that then there is nothing to stop them using one.
Agree with this.
The only reason Langer and Scott use them is they are not good with a conventional putter.
The reason they putt well with them is they practice for hours on end.
If they were a miracle everyone would have one.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can't just "ban long putters" you'd have to specify what's long and what isn't, wouldn't you? Which is why I asked what length you think should be the maximum.

Your second point I agree with, I kind of missed the furore around banning anchoring as I wasn't playing a lot at the time, but it didn't seem like the golfing world was being dominated by people anchoring their putters. But now it's banned I highly doubt they'll undo that.

D

Deleted Member 1156

You can't just "ban long putters" you'd have to specify what's long and what isn't, wouldn't you? Which is why I asked what length you think should be the maximum.

Your second point I agree with, I kind of missed the furore around banning anchoring as I wasn't playing a lot at the time, but it didn't seem like the golfing world was being dominated by people anchoring their putters. But now it's banned I highly doubt they'll undo that.
OK if you want specifics then how about 'must have a conventional grip'? Some people have up to around 38 inch putters but long handle putters have 2 separate grips on them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK if you want specifics then how about 'must have a conventional grip'? Some people have up to around 38 inch putters but long handle putters have 2 separate grips on them.
Surely you can see that's easy to get around, by just making it one long grip all the way up. :D