Putter handle lengths. Short only?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Personally not used any long or semi long types. One of my pp is adamant they shouldn't be allowed.
Do they really give an unfair advantage, and if so, why?
They must invite "locking" , do they not.?
I'm sure I heard Butch Harmon recently describe BdC putting style as "locked"?
What do you chaps think?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the rules are about right, don’t anchor it.

Long or arm locked seems fine to me. I’m also OK with Langer and his almost anchored but not.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Personally not used any long or semi long types. One of my pp is adamant they shouldn't be allowed.
Do they really give an unfair advantage, and if so, why?
They must invite "locking" , do they not.?
I'm sure I heard Butch Harmon recently describe BdC putting style as "locked"?
What do you chaps think?

Define long or semi long? I know of one on here who insists that the putter should be the shortest club in the bag. As my shortest wedge is 36.25" long & my putter 37.25" long I'd fall foul of that, but I use it conventionally so don't see why I shouldn't be able to use it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
People who say arm-lock is anchoring don't know what anchoring means. Anchoring means there is a third point of contact that is fixed i.e. your chest or stomach because your body remains stationary. Locking it against your arm is not anchoring because your arm moves with the stroke. I don't see a problem with it, I'm not sure it's easier to putt that way than conventionally, and people who putt that way are not leading all the putting stats are they?

My putter is 35 inches, I grip it with an inch or so of the grip above my hands though, pressed against my left wrist. I find it gives me more stability, and naturally adds a bit of forward press - and have putted better since I started doing this. In essence it's the same sort of concept as the arm lock but on a much smaller scale. I would never try an arm lock though I don't think, it just looks way too unwieldy.

When people talk about making it the 'shortest club in the bag', I wonder if we'd see a few more tour players using the one length irons then? :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Define long or semi long? I know of one on here who insists that the putter should be the shortest club in the bag. As my shortest wedge is 36.25" long & my putter 37.25" long I'd fall foul of that, but I use it conventionally so don't see why I shouldn't be able to use it.
Just make your wedge an inch longer and grip down on it then. :LOL:

Swinglowandslow

Visit site

I was referring to the long as in Adam Scott type and semi long as in BdeC, where the latter locks,up against the lower arm.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
My putter is adjustable in length, I have it at 31", i like to be really over the ball when putting and I am only 5ft 8

D

Deleted Member 1156

Long putters don't bother me in the slightest but the rules around them do. Either ban them completely OR allow them with no restrictions on anchoring. The current rules are a farce and too open to personal interpretation.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Long putters don't bother me in the slightest but the rules around them do. Either ban them completely OR allow them with no restrictions on anchoring. The current rules are a farce and too open to personal interpretation.
I don't think so? Use your hands and arms and it's fine. Use your chest or stomach it's anchoring. Easy enough.

Mandofred

Visit site
Glad you both think so. Perhaps you can explain why some people think Langer anchors and some think he doesn't?
He either does....or he doesn't. Wouldn't the rules folks whack him if he was anchoring? Some people think Trump is wonderful.....I don't think so..... I could care less if they change the rules, again. If somebody does something "different"....there are always some golfers who will hate it.

D

Deleted Member 1156

He either does....or he doesn't. Wouldn't the rules folks whack him if he was anchoring? Some people think Trump is wonderful.....I don't think so..... I could care less if they change the rules, again. If somebody does something "different"....there are always some golfers who will hate it.
The issue comes down to millimetres and it isn't possible for other players, rules officials or TV cameras to pick it up. So as I said, change the rules to either anything goes or ban them altogether.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Glad you both think so. Perhaps you can explain why some people think Langer anchors and some think he doesn't?
Now that's a (slightly) different question!
Been a while since I've seen his technique, but he was definitely 'close to anchoring' (supposedly) without actually doing so. With all the cameras/angles available, I'm certain there'd be uproar if he was actually anchoring!

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well they claim that his left hand is pinned against his chest. Golf authorities are obviously satisfied that it isn't. And I don't believe Langer would cheat, personally. I think the top hand is close to his chest, but not touching so he's fine.