Putter Grip

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have found my old trusty Ryder putter in my loft and took it out at the weekend for a bit of an airing and practice.

Three of my mates commented on the grip and two said it was illegal, one said it’s ok. The first said it was illegal as it was flat at the front and not rounded like all my other clubs. I think he is wrong as I have checked out grips on the web and you get grips like this on sale today.

The other said it was illegal as it was wider in the middle compared to the top and bottom He says it should be constant width until it tapers into the shaft. I can’t find another grip like this on the market so I suspect he could be right

My router is bust at home and the R&A website is blocked at work so can’t check just now but it’s easier if someone could just tell me :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anybody know if the grip is illegal?

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
as far as i can see the grip is not allowed due to the bulge in the middle.

a putter grip does not have to circular it can have a flat edge but it must be symmetrical.

T

thecraw

think your mate is right, putter grip cant be thinner at the top than in the middle, can be thinner at the bottom but not the top.

DCB

Visit site
have a look at appendix II in the Rules of Golf it gives all the necessary info on Design of Clubs. Unfortunately the grip you describe became illegal about two or three revisions ago!

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for that DCB (and others) there is a diagram that shows my grip!! The putter has not been used for about 15 years so I have not broken the rules. May well have done if it was not pointed out to me.

The grip is symmetrical, it is not moulded to any hand shape, and I just can’t work out what advantage it gave at the time and why it was made illegal. As viscount17 says if a belly putter is legal why should this grip not be? It does not make sense to me.

Time to go online and look for a new grip.

DCB

Visit site
I have an old putter I used to use during the winter months. It was fitted with a similar grip to the one you're describing. I had to change it to continue using it.