Putter for the old man

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dad is a 28 handicapper, playing twice a week and trying to come down a little before the summer.

He's asked for a new putter for xmas, I guess the budget is rounnd £40-£50 quid. He's said he wants a mallet type putter.

Any suggestions.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
My dad is a 28 handicapper, playing twice a week and trying to come down a little before the summer.

He's asked for a new putter for xmas, I guess the budget is rounnd £40-£50 quid. He's said he wants a mallet type putter.

Any suggestions.

SportsHq have TM manta putters for £50 at the minute.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
with putters being so personal, i would get him a £50 voucher for american golf or direct golf or you local pro shop and let him go and pick one he likes the feel of..

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
as an addendum to that idea I'd take him down there and get him fitted for one he likes and you pay for it, no vouchers and no discussion on price.............he is your Dad after all:thup:
He'll be bursting with pride that his son is buying him a putter.....:cool:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
as an addendum to that idea I'd take him down there and get him fitted for one he likes and you pay for it, no vouchers and no discussion on price.............he is your Dad after all:thup:
He'll be bursting with pride that his son is buying him a putter.....:cool:

Nice idea in theory and I am sure mashley would love to do that. But maybe he is not in a financial position where he can just let his dad have the run of the shop. Imagine if you are hoping to spend about £50, you then see your dad picking things up out of the Scotty Cameron stand. Could you tell him you can't afford it, or would that be too embarrassing.

I would think about what your budget is mate then give your dad a voucher for that amount for one of the golf superstores. then take him down there and if he does not spend it all then he can get something else with the change. Or on the other hand if the putter he likes is only a tenner more you could always pay the extra.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Nice idea in theory and I am sure mashley would love to do that. But maybe he is not in a financial position where he can just let his dad have the run of the shop. Imagine if you are hoping to spend about £50, you then see your dad picking things up out of the Scotty Cameron stand. Could you tell him you can't afford it, or would that be too embarrassing.

I would think about what your budget is mate then give your dad a voucher for that amount for one of the golf superstores. then take him down there and if he does not spend it all then he can get something else with the change. Or on the other hand if the putter he likes is only a tenner more you could always pay the extra.

yes I can see where you're coming from and thats good empathy, my thought is simply he's my Dad, and he's probably made a zillion sacrifices for me over the years, plus he'll know my financial situation and probably wont abuse it, he can always give his dad a rough idea of budget as well which shouldn't be embarrassing as he's your Dad! but these are all assumptions.
Its a great idea anyway OP and your old man will no doubt tell all his mates that his son bought him this putter :thup: