Putter fitting

Bassfisher

Visit site
I’m a high handicapper, thinking of getting a putter fitting at Portsmouth golf centre, Ive had one putting lesson , my technique is ok I think practice is what’s needed now.
What do you guys think, is it too early for me to invest in a putter after a fitting?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is your handicap high?
if it’s your putting that’s the problem then stick to your lessons until you get a reasonable standard ( no 3 putts is very good)
If it’s your long game that’s the problem and your putting is good why not.
Don’t buy anything to expensive as your stroke may change over time.
A good fitted putter increases your confidence so yes I think it’s a good start.

Bassfisher

Visit site
Hi and thanks for replying, I’m newish but playing regularly this yr now so working on it, my handicap is high because I don’t have consistency from the tee.
My putting is ok so I guess going for a fitting can’t be a bad thing,

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi and thanks for replying, I’m newish but playing regularly this yr now so working on it, my handicap is high because I don’t have consistency from the tee.
My putting is ok so I guess going for a fitting can’t be a bad thing,
Yes that’s great.
If you get putting right it then spreads confidence through your game.
Keep working on it .
Good luck.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
There's nothing that having a putter fitting can do to harm your overall game. Putting is a "game within a game" and you will undoubtedly save a lot of shots if you rarely putt more than twice a hole

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A relatively basic fitting will help. You probably don't need a full fitting with laser alignment, but getting the lie, length and making the right choice between head-balanced or toe-hang will help. You always have to like the look of the putter too.

Last edited:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say if you're comfortable putting, then do it. Having a putter suited to you should make a difference, and will definately give you greater confidence as you appraoch each green.

Bassfisher

Visit site
Quick update, I had a fitting where my
Technique was assessed, the fitter then gave me some tips to improve, we discussed my preferences to putter styles etc I actually like the smaller mallet style putters with guiding lines , I find them really useful to help with my line up. He then produced three putters, an oddessey, tm spider and a ping. On trying the clubs I loved the tm spider, there was no doubt and so now we’re a couple!
Going for the fitting and buying the club has really encouraged me to practice my putting, the pro gave me some drills which I follow, all in all I already feel that it’s been a positive and worthwhile experience.
I had a round yesterday, my putting has improved already ( still room for further improvement) I feel much more confident as I now have a technique and a putter that I’m happy with.