Putter Fitting

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putter fitting is a good idea.
As you say if time limited it’s the easiest thing to practice.
I went for a fitting and came out with a face balanced mallet.
It has made a big difference to my game .
Not only my putting , if you putt well it takes pressure of your short game .
If short game and putting is good it takes pressure of your iron game.
We all would like to drive the ball like the pros do ,sadly I don’t.
But we all have to put the ball in the hole, so if you eliminate 3 putts and hole a few you will improve.
Then sort your driving when you have more time.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I've decided that the gains from a better putting technique and confidence will be the biggest help in improving my scores at the moment. I will gain more from cutting out three putts, and getting the odd one putt than I will from a slightly straighter or longer drive, though I am convinced (after the GM Woburn Day) that a fitting a new driver to replace my off the shelf G20 would help too, just not as much at the moment. That's for another day.

I'm going to have a lesson, followed by a fitting (if it's needed - many of the reviews where fittings were booked said he wouldn't sell them a new putter, but adjusted their existing one, which seems good to me, even if it just improves my confidence with my existing one.) I use a 34" Odyssey White Ice Dart. The chap I'm going to, Ed Morton is well reviewed over the years on here, offers SAM Putt Lab and Quintic Ball Roll. What are they? His brands are Odyssey, Envroll and Seemore.

If the outcome is that I keep my existing putter but have a more repeatable setup and stroke (which feels a bit haphazard at the moment) I'll be delighted too.

Any advice for me to make the most of it all?

I thought I'd tail the thread with a report back.

I had my two hour session with Ed Morton today, at his studio near Leighton Buzzard in Bedfordshire. We started off on the monitors and spent some time understanding the numbers, then after 20-30 mins, stepped away from the cameras to work on technique with various training aids - mirrors, sticks, lasers, then moved on to working without the aids. The last 20 minutes or so were then back on the numbers to see what had worked/improved and what hadn't. Some drills to practice, and a changed grip for my putter, but no new putter - Ed concluded that a new putter wouldn't offer me anything significant, even though the new Evnroll and Odyssey putters looked great and he knew I'd have bought one if he'd told me to!

I was extremely impressed. His studio is superb, I felt he watched me carefully, fully engaged throughout the whole session, offered clear explanations. The rational behind the coaching was properly talked through and drills to practice well set out. The numbers, video etc were all used really well - they showed what was happening and why, but they didn't dictate the session. They were very much a tool. Also I was impressed that someone who knew I was in the market for a new club wouldn't sell me one!

I have come away with:

i) A repeatable pre-shot routine and set up
ii) A clear idea of what I am trying to do with the actual stroke, and an understanding of the one issue that is causing me a problem
iii) Practice drills that help all this
iv) Confidence that the equipment I am using is fine [Perhaps I should buy the M6 Driver I was fitted for at Woburn instead...]

I would have no hesitation in recommending him to others. I will definitely go back in a few months time to see how things have gone. He made careful notes in the session, and I got video of the key elements emailed straight afterwards.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I had my two hour session with Ed Morton today, at his studio near Leighton Buzzard in Bedfordshire. We started off on the monitors and spent some time understanding the numbers, then after 20-30 mins, stepped away from the cameras to work on technique with various training aids - mirrors, sticks, lasers, then moved on to working without the aids. The last 20 minutes or so were then back on the numbers to see what had worked/improved and what hadn't. Some drills to practice, and a changed grip for my putter, but no new putter - Ed concluded that a new putter wouldn't offer me anything significant, even though the new Evnroll and Odyssey putters looked great and he knew I'd have bought one if he'd told me to!

I was extremely impressed. His studio is superb, I felt he watched me carefully, fully engaged throughout the whole session, offered clear explanations. The rational behind the coaching was properly talked through and drills to practice well set out. The numbers, video etc were all used really well - they showed what was happening and why, but they didn't dictate the session. They were very much a tool. Also I was impressed that someone who knew I was in the market for a new club wouldn't sell me one!

I have come away with:

ii) A clear idea of what I am trying to do with the actual stroke, and an understanding of the one issue that is causing me a problem
iv) Confidence that the equipment I am using is fine [Perhaps I should buy the M6 Driver I was fitted for at Woburn instead...]

I would have no hesitation in recommending him to others. I will definitely go back in a few months time to see how things have gone. He made careful notes in the session, and I got video of the key elements emailed straight afterwards.

Glad it went well, sounds like Ed being Ed (I posted about Alex being Alex on the Orka thread the other day!)

You should tell Ed that youre thinking of buying a new driver and see if he could beat your numbers ;)

Diamond

Visit site

I have come away with:

I like the sound of this. I would be interested if there was one similar in the north west.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got some evidence (Strokes/Money gained from better Driving vs Strokes/Money gained Putting)? I certainly recognise more of the current top players in the Strokes gained Putting list than I do on the SG Driving one!

I'm pretty certain that 'gaining strokes' putting is also a lot easier than 'gaining strokes' driving for most ams. Though it depends how 'bad' current Driving and/or Putting are!

Personally, my best rounds correspond to my best putting rounds even when my driving is average, rather than the other way around!
Totally agree.
Being a good putter takes pressure off your short game, this takes pressure off your irons .
This in turn takes pressure off your long game.
There is nothing worse than hitting it well all day and missing your putts.
My games been the latter for a while and it is really frustrating.
Just imo of course.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all

I've decided that the gains from a better putting technique and confidence will be the biggest help in improving my scores at the moment. I will gain more from cutting out three putts, and getting the odd one putt than I will from a slightly straighter or longer drive, though I am convinced (after the GM Woburn Day) that a fitting a new driver to replace my off the shelf G20 would help too, just not as much at the moment. That's for another day.

I'm going to have a lesson, followed by a fitting (if it's needed - many of the reviews where fittings were booked said he wouldn't sell them a new putter, but adjusted their existing one, which seems good to me, even if it just improves my confidence with my existing one.) I use a 34" Odyssey White Ice Dart. The chap I'm going to, Ed Morton is well reviewed over the years on here, offers SAM Putt Lab and Quintic Ball Roll. What are they? His brands are Odyssey, Envroll and Seemore.

If the outcome is that I keep my existing putter but have a more repeatable setup and stroke (which feels a bit haphazard at the moment) I'll be delighted too.

Any advice for me to make the most of it all?

Hi where is Ed based?

Thanks

And

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
He's between Woburn and Dunstable. I think he stopped his coaching activity earlier this year but can't find anything else out so can't be sure. I can't access his website.

yep Ed has knocked EM golf on the head and moved onto pastures new, he posted something about it a few months ago and sold off all his equipment, putters etc

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
yep Ed has knocked EM golf on the head and moved onto pastures new, he posted something about it a few months ago and sold off all his equipment, putters etc

I must have missed that. I probably ticked a box somewhere that said "do not send me any emails". I wish I had ticked the "unless you are selling an Evnroll putter dirt cheap" box. Hope he's ok. The set up he had was fantastic.