Putt from the fringe?

Who should I choose for the final spot in the GM Challenge at Royal Ascot on the 27th

• My partners son for a father/son team

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Another good golfing friend

• A forum member

• A low handicapper from the club

• Total voters

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Little poll for a Sunday night.

Somehow got it into my head that putting from the fringe was a bit 'chicken' but thought I would give it a go this weekend.

Results= much more accurate that chipping overall especially on the short(sub 10 foot) ones for some reason. I suppose it's partly as I find it difficult to judge the runout on a chip quite a lot.

So folks, putt, chip or something else e.g. hybrid putting?

(To clarify - by fringe I mean the 2 - 3 foot wide 'skirt' around the green)

secondly , if you do chip then is it 'in the spirit' of the game and entirely valid or is it a little bit like cheating and shows a lack of belief in ones chipping stroke?

bill

Glenfish

Club Champion
Visit site
I actually like to try to chip, as I'm learning I want to see the difference between my PW and my SW, as a result my scores would probably be better if I putted but I feel in the long run my game will benefit.
Eventually I really want to get to grips with decent wedges to get real control around the green.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I was always taught that your worst putt will still be better tha your worst chip. Put bluntly it is easier to get the ball close with a putter from the fringe than chipping it

There are however times when I would consider chipping. For example if there was casual water in front of the shot or the grass was particularly wet. I'd also chip if the ball had nestled down a fraction.

In normal circumstances though if the lie is good and it is only a fringe about a yard or so wide I'll putt every time

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
For me , it depends on the distance back to the flag. If its within 10-12 feet , i'll putt. If its a longer distance , i normally grip down a 7 iron and do a little bump and run

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I use my rescue club. Grip down so that bottom finger is actually on the shaft and putt with it.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I judge everythin on its merits.

I used to hate putting so sometimes i would will a bad shot of the edge of the green rather than stay on so i could use the 4 iron to get it close, and i could, alot closer than with a putter.

But now my putting is very strong so i will use the putter as often as i can. Do like the choked down 7 though!

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i voted to putt but only if the distance is right and it's not wet.otherwise i will use a rescue or seven iron it all depends as no two shots are the same i sometimes chip with my nine iron aswell.

Greenkeeper

Club Champion
Visit site
It has to be putt for me, I chip only if to get over some difficult undulation, but as a rule I get more control with the putter. As a greenkeeper I always maintain the apron as an extension of the green, all that is done on the green is carried on to the aprons. The only difference is the height of cut. It all should be puttable.
However there is no hard and fast rule in golf!

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Don't think our fringe is quite as tidy as yours!
But I putt unless the surface is particularly bad or it's a bit distance to the pin.

AliB

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me , it depends on the distance back to the flag. If its within 10-12 feet , i'll putt. If its a longer distance , i normally do a little bump and run

That's me too!

Close range, I find I'm more likely to make a putt than a chip. Long range, the c+r gets the nod. I make lots of putts from the fringe (less pressure, I guess), can't see I'd get that good a line with an iron.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
depends on distance, quality of the fringe, slope etc.
I'm just getting to grips with the 7-i putt and like the results, even tried a putt with a 4-h from a long way off recently and got it close enough to finish with one putt.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When i only played intermittingly i usually chipped but now i play weekly i have more confidence in my putter and will use the putter for most shots-however if for some reason i find myself the length of the green away and have to climb a slope then i will bump & run the ball with an iron.

davethepro

Hacker
Visit site
this is a great poll, i thnk its what you feel comftable with, anything under 19 foot should be a putt, between 10 and 20 a 9 iron and 20+ should be a 7 iron, just depends if you you practice too :)

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it was Gary Player who said on the golf channel once that he used a pitching wedge around /off the green so that he could get a good feel for one club. Depending on what he done, choke down, change ball position etc etc he was able to get it close.

I had been using differnt clubs all around and not really getting anywhere but when I heard that I have pretty much followed that rule since unless something else means I cant. I really felt that it has helped my game.

I spend alot of time off the greens so I still get plenty of practice.

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
All depends how I see the shot, it really depends on the distance and slope of the green etc, I tend to use anything between a 6 iron to PW or even higher, I will use the putter if I think its the correct shot to play. (all too often my decisions are bad ones tho' :D)