Pulling shots (mainly irons)

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Missing left too much and it’s mainly irons tho occasionally happening with woods too.

They are straight pulls with not much curvature so pretty sure it’s very slight over the top with a closed face. Could be an alignment issue also tho.

Looking for iron drills to try and combat it. Got a lesson booked in a couple of weeks to tackle it but looking for anything in meantime.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As you've rightly said it's a swing path issue.
The problem is, if you've been doing it for some time it can be hard to change and will take lots of practice.
If however it's a recent thing, you can use the drill below.
Don't hit the headcovers

If you don't like practicing, aim right.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi bob,

Yeah I’ve used this drill loads and I actually semi use it on course making sure I swing inside a marker on the ground and up with driver off the tee.

However not sure with the irons where I don’t wanna be hitting up?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I had this problem. Big Stewart at the club spotted it straight away. Stop your iron when your shaft is horizontal with the ground. The the club face should be flat. If it's closed then that might be the issue.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Horizontal at the top or on downswing?
I assume he means at the top.
''the clubface should be flat'' is what I would question :unsure:
Hi bob,

Yeah I’ve used this drill loads and I actually semi use it on course making sure I swing inside a marker on the ground and up with driver off the tee.

However not sure with the irons where I don’t wanna be hitting up?

Just move the ball more towards the centre of your stance an you'll be fine

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The very first thing you should be doing with any consistent wrong direction swing is to check the club face angle in your grip.

Take your normal grip and stance and with out changing anything bring the club up so that it is horizontal to your eyes. (Right handed golfer) the leading edge should be pointing straight up and down, pointing left closed club face and pointing right open club face.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
If they are going straight left. It’s not the club face. It’s path.
Would be pretty sure your throwing the club on the down swing. Why is harder to diagnose.
Could be back on the inside on the way back or starting your down swing with your left shoulder.
I’d personally say keep an eye on where the club goes in your backswing away from the ball.