Pulling shots left

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On a lot of my shots I am pulling the ball left (I am right handed). The ball goes about 5-10 yards off the line of my aim and goes in a straight line, not a hook.
i believe it is because I am not turning my hips quick enough but I am unsure of drills to try and help. If I try and hit the ball harder and turn more, I slice the ball badly so I try and have a fairly relaxed swing, meaning I only hit my 7 iron about 135-140 yards ( I realise that the forum is not the place to admit this weakness:eek:)
any drills would be much appreciated

Cheers

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
could be a bunch of things that play into the issues. without seeing the grip, set-up, ball position, swing motion hard to say where the cause/s start from.

but to pull/slice the ball you're likely swinging from the top a little ways, so then out & over the plane so the swing direction through impact is leftfield, if the face alignment is square to that swing direction you'll pull it, the more loft on the clubs with this swing direction more likely it will pull, less lofted clubs with this swing direction that also have the face angle a little ways open to the swing direction through impact you'll slice.

could be in an attempt to clear the hips you're exacerbating the issue some, if the hips tend to spin left straight off in the downswing that can also spin the right shoulder out, arms club get outside & steep & from here you pretty much have to swing left through impact.

but as said without seeing what is happening from the set-up, takeaway difficult to say exactly what the root cause/s is/are, as could be something from static & first movement that's making it more likely that from the top of the swing you'll swing out first off instead of down. sequence for a good downswing needs to start from the ground up, weight downwards into the left foot.

picture you're standing on a clockface if 12 is towards target, then from the top of the swing, swing down & out so the clubhead is traveling between 1 & 2pm.

if you can get your hold on the handle checked out so at address on looking down you see 2 & 1/2 knuckles of the left hand & the left palm is parallel to the right palm check that the 2 'v's on both hands, crease between thumbs & forefingers point past your right ear to around mid right shoulder.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Could possibly be down to my weight transfer as i tend to finish with my weight on my back (right) foot and sometimes feels as I might overbalance backwards.

Will check my shoulder alignment next time I am out, hopefully it will be as simple as that

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Could possibly be down to my weight transfer as i tend to finish with my weight on my back (right) foot and sometimes feels as I might overbalance backwards.

That is a big no-no in golf.
Watch all good golfers and they all finish up balanced on their toes of their back foot

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That is a big no-no in golf.
Watch all good golfers and they all finish up balanced on their toes of their back foot
I feel this is one of the main problems. I struggle to get to a good balanced position like on the magazine covers and I think this is contributing to the pulls. Any drills/ideas for getting the weight on my front foot?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any drills/ideas for getting the weight on my front foot?

Until Bob comes back with a better idea, try putting a bit of wood (or anything that will stay put) under the outside of your right foot.

I did the same for the outside of my left foot for a different problem, and it forces you to feel what it should be like in a normal swing.

Huwey12

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sounds like a posture problem like you're playing around your body
Push your pelvis back ie stick your bum out, lean forward so that your shoulders are just infromt of your toes
Aim to hit the ball inside at about 7 o'clock and continue this path to the finish
You'll end up with a classic pose with your right foot on tiptoes and hopefully hit a nice draw