pulling irons

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi

High handicapper here but looking at my game and I have noticed a trend in pulling irons. They start left of the target and continue on the same line.

I will be getting lessons in the summer but just wondering if there is anything I should check. I am wondering if it is as simple as my aim/alignment or whether there is anything else I should look at?

C

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I would get someone to stand behind you (looking down the target line) and check you shoulder aim in relation to the rest of your body.
If your shoulders are pointing too far left of the target, happy days.
If they are only pointing a little left then its a bit more complicated.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's my bad shot also and definitely me and not the club, however it has been well argued before and many times that a 'too heavy' shaft can cause this also. I would say the chances of the shaft being at fault is around 1%.

Need a pro/teacher to see it - it's an easy spot as to the fault if you know what your looking at

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was struggling with this until last week. Start with the grip, most faults start here. Mine was caused by a strong bottom hand, weakened the grip off and its all good. Ensure you are holding the club in your fingers and not your palms. A few good videos from Crossfield on this on Youtube which he posted very recently which show some exercises you can do to make sure you are gripping correctly

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't think the grip is the problem as the clubface is square to the swingpath. It's a question of finding out why the path is too far left

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
thanks for all the replies everyone

I have a set of Calloway XRs which I am happy with. I am 5'9" and average build so fairly confident that they wont be the problem.

Its definitely user error :)

I will check my alignment over the weekend and look at the grip try to weaken my right hand hopefully that will may a difference

Swing path I am not so sure I have the ability to change. I am sure the lessons will work on this with me. I try and control a 3/4 swing as I have a tendency to swing too hard if I go for a full swing