Pull or pull slices..........

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I still think you need to stop taking the club away to the inside. I think its this that is making you reroute it back over the top and creating all these problems. It's not really a flat swingplane.

Try exaggerating the takeaway to the outside and back to the inside on the downswing. Place another ball on the ground around two feet directly behind the ball at address and along the extended target line. Take the clubhead outside this ball on the backswing and inside the ball on the downswing.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've been trying to break that Sr, started by placing a tee peg around 18 inches behind the ball ensuring the club goes back over that before any wrist movement, when doing it on a mat at the range the club topples the tee peg nicely.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OS as i have mentioned we seem to share a common Pull fault

I have found a fault with my shoulders at address, they were slightly open facing left and i was so caught up with grip, path, posture, etc etc i had over looked the simple shoulders alignment

I am working on this and when i get them straight it feels a bit strange as if i am too tilted to the right, in the mirror it looks spot on

I believe if a change feels odd, it probably is the making a difference and i should find out on Sunday in my comp !

This can alos be compounded further if the ball is too far forward at setup

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well wolfy I wish you all the luck, back from another disaster where I can't hit anything more than a quarter shot, if courses were made of 100 yard shots id be great.....Simply put I'm done, few weeks off me thinks!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've been trying to break that Sr, started by placing a tee peg around 18 inches behind the ball ensuring the club goes back over that before any wrist movement, when doing it on a mat at the range the club topples the tee peg nicely.

I think you need to work on a drill that exaggerates the fix. Hitting a tee peg is not enough in my estimation, try the golf ball loop where you take the club way outside the back ball and loop it back inside it.

Another drill is to let the club drag behind your hands on the backswing, a bit like you would pull a paintbrush back when painting a door. This is actually the way golfers used the old whippy Hickory shafts. On the downswing let the clubhead trail the hands, again like the forward stroke with a paintbrush. I hope this makes sence as it is a very sound way to swing a golf club, I can explain further if required.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
SR. i honestly think that I'm over thinking everything single bit and movement in the swing to the point where there is no fluidity to the swing or natural momentum. I was doing a simple drill where the club is only taken back to a level 90* ish... Then excelerate through the shot concentrating on correct release and swing plane.... They were peaches. Nice neutral grip good crisp strike and good release, the minute I opted for a touch more distance, it was early release or big cast. I should add the you were right the rolling of the wrists was causing big issues, working on the shorter swing with a neutral grip was a lot better on take away.

For the next fortnight I'm going to work on that and that only, work on being on plane, neutral grip and good release at most 3/4 shots this should ingrain better foundations within the swing. If I can ingrain the correct grip and lag from 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 swings it should build a better swing in theory.... Oh... And putting could do with some practice too! Time to forget the old swing as a tripping octopus at a techno rave is not a pretty thing, lets get the new 2013 swing started now !:rofl:

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If your head is getting overloaded with swing thoughts then I suggest getting hold of a book called 'Nail It' by Joe Hagen. It promotes a learning method called '3 Skills' and is a teaching system where you completely let go of all swing thoughts and only work on 4 basic ball impact drills. It is completely different from conventional teaching methods and works.

Joe works at Hersham Golf Club Surrey, quite local to you. It's a great book, may be worth calling in and having a chat with him.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The problem with short swings is people only swing their arms... and seeing as that is your fault you are technically making it harder for yourself..... UNLESS.... you use half swings but REALLY use your body turn to hit the ball and swing through to a full finish. You are thinking waaaay too much about your arms/wrists/planes etc and nothing at all about the underlying problems/causes.

Might just fancy a trip to your driving range next week...... :whistle:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
OS, you need to decide if you

1. want to spend months and months changing your fundamental swing to stop the slight out to in swing you have

2. accept it and learn how to perfect it into a repeatable swing where you know where the ball is going every time.

Number 1 will take months and months
Number 2 will take weeks

Is a controllable fade such a bad thing?

The more you come on here asking for help and trying everyone's cure/tip/miracle fix, the worse it will get.

i honestly think that I'm over thinking everything single bit and movement in the swing to the point where there is no fluidity to the swing or natural momentum

Get back to your natural movement as that is where your body wants to go and with a slight tweak to your grip, you should get your natural fade back

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OS, you need to decide if you

1. want to spend months and months changing your fundamental swing to stop the slight out to in swing you have

2. accept it and learn how to perfect it into a repeatable swing where you know where the ball is going every time.

Number 1 will take months and months
Number 2 will take weeks

Is a controllable fade such a bad thing?

The more you come on here asking for help and trying everyone's cure/tip/miracle fix, the worse it will get.

Get back to your natural movement as that is where your body wants to go and with a slight tweak to your grip, you should get your natural fade back

Bob , my natural shot was a draw, but it could turn to a hook on bad days, apparently to flat, with a syrong grip, the pro I was with had me hitting soft cuts and I was hitting the ball very well within 5 lessons over 3/4 months. What ever is going on in my swing is a big issue as I can't hit anything consistent other than a shank.

If i am going to start the rebuilt process it may aswell be now in the crap weather , my theory is drill it out through the winter in an effort to enjoy my summer golf with some sort of consistency. I'm at my lowest hc but I can't maintain that with my current form so it's either go up or.... Drill it out!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Go see Joe, 3 Skills will get you on track.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I remember the three skills are

• altering the angle of attack for different clubs,

• swinging in to out to hit a push and

• closing the clubface to draw the ball back, which is basically just repeating 3 of the 5 old laws of golf.

Ignoring the obvious, how is OS going to change his swing path from out to in to in to out without an awful lot of time hitting balls on the range?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob , my natural shot was a draw

Confused.com

My idea of a draw is a shot that starts a little right of target and finishes on target.
If you were swinging out to in and hitting a draw, you must have been aiming a long way right for it to finish on target.
Either that or you have changed your swing from in to out to out to in (which I doubt very much)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but as I remember the three skills are

• altering the angle of attack for different clubs,

• swinging in to out to hit a push and

• closing the clubface to draw the ball back, which is basically just repeating 3 of the 5 old laws of golf.

Ignoring the obvious, how is OS going to change his swing path from out to in to in to out without an awful lot of time hitting balls on the range?

You are wrong Bob ;)

3 Skills requires you to abandon all swing thoughts.
It makes you focus only on the way the club makes impact with the ball and uses imagery for that. Mainly the image of striking a nail through the ball. Ok the angle of the nail changes through 3 angles depending on the club used but it has to.
It teaches you to strike the ball at the widest point of the arc on an in to square to in path. It uses imagery for this as well, simple exercises like clapping your hands together.
The third skill is to square the clubface. It does work on getting you to hit a draw but not by manipulating how you swing the club, more by achieving the previous skills.

It is a great book in that it lets you completely forget about the mechanics of the golf swing and put all your focus into the impact zone, actually it is a breath of fresh air in golf instruction. Only in golf do we seem to tie our selves in knots by focusing on body movements that should be completely natural once you understand how the club should make contact with the ball.

Highly recommended from me anyway.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It's my experience that if someone does manage to change their swing path from out to in to in to out/in, the second that player tries anything new in their swing, it automatically goes back to out to in.
I suppose it depends how ingrained the out to in swing is.

It's funny how newcomers to golf want to learn the draw and better players want to play the fade.
We're never happy