provisional and water hazard

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Looking for advice/clarification on how I should have proceeded.

Par 3 over water yesterday, and my tee shot has Barnes Wallace'd. I was convinced it had made it to dry ground on the far side in the reeds. It was certain that the ball was still in the hazard, but not sure whether I would find it and if so whether it would be playable. I wanted to preserve my right to play another ball from this side of the lake, keep the pace of play, but recognised that I shouldn't hit a provisional. If I play three off the tee I automatically preclude myself from playing the ball if I find it. If I don't hit another I delay play if I find it and decide not to play it. It would make sense for me to play as though it is lost in the hazard, but call it provisional - though I know that's not right as I then get a choice of two balls if it is indeed in the hazard but found. If I find it, then the "provisional" is null and void and I have to walk back if I decide it's unplayable to hit another. Doesn't that make more sense?

In the event the ball was in hazard but playable though I had no way of knowing this before I got there. But what should I do next time?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the event the ball was in hazard but playable though I had no way of knowing this before I got there. But what should I do next time?

Exactly as you did this time, except don't agonise over it. If you are certain your ball is in the water hazard you can't as you know play a provisional. If you want to look and see if it is playable, go and look. If you need to come back round the pond to drop, just do it. It's not going to take up that much time is it and it's part of the game. It's not as if you are wasting time.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree with Colin.

I do know of 1 course/hole (Thorndon Park 3rd) where a Local Rule, apprently approved by authorities, allows a Provisional where ball may have gone into a water hazard. Not absolutely certain, but must be Yellow staked on far side. Ball can roll down slope of fairway into pond/lake. Trek back would be very time-consuming so LR devised.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I agree with Colin.

I do know of 1 course/hole (Thorndon Park 3rd) where a Local Rule, apprently approved by authorities, allows a Provisional where ball may have gone into a water hazard. Not absolutely certain, but must be Yellow staked on far side. Ball can roll down slope of fairway into pond/lake. Trek back would be very time-consuming so LR devised.

Is it legal to do that.....the only reason for hitting the prov ball is when you think your ball may be lost OUTSIDE the hazard, not inside it. The rule book clearly says you must abandon the provisional ball if your ball is in the hazard.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with Colin.

I do know of 1 course/hole (Thorndon Park 3rd) where a Local Rule, apprently approved by authorities, allows a Provisional where ball may have gone into a water hazard. .

This will be the Local Rule sanctioned in Appendix 1 Part A 2b.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I agree with Colin.

Quite sensible in that case as it is a long walk back if you don't find the first ball, and the tee is about the only dropping area.