Proquip gone?

i*windows

Visit site
I was looking for some windproof gear and someone recommended a Proquip top, I still use one of their waterproofs and its excellent, so I tried to look at their website, but it seems to be down. Does anyone know if they are still in business?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think im right in saying they were part of Edinburgh Woollen Mill who have got into administration so every chance they may not be currently whilst the administration is sorted out

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes, part of Edinburgh Woolen Mill.
Indeed! And EWM went into admin early November.
Products still available from retail outlets (such as Affordable Golf) - perhaps even at lower than normal prices, given likely lack of warranty support.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I guess Administrators will sell off parts of EWM that are saleable...Proquip should be a profitable business shouldn't it?
Someone will buy it and revive the brand.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I read an article that said EWM and Ponden have gone in to administration but all other companies in the group are trading normally but we lost our local Peacocks some time ago.

D

Deleted member 18588

I guess Administrators will sell off parts of EWM that are saleable...Proquip should be a profitable business shouldn't it?
Someone will buy it and revive the brand.
Just interested why you think that ProQuip would necessarily be a sufficiently attractive proposition for someone to take it on.

Not saying that they wouldn't be but I do wonder if the market and their share of it would make it worthwhile.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sad a
When I started playing in the 80s, ProQuip were THE top of the range brand.

£200 for the full suit back then, we're talking over 30 years ago, but it was the suit you aspired to buy as a serious golfer.

Nowadays, look at conversations on here for a small sample of the golf community, and how often do you see ProQuip highly recommended as the stand-out brand when someone asks about waterproofs?

Galvin Green are always recommended if budget is not an issue, Footjoy, Sunderland and ProQuip are given an equal shout, but then there are just as many mentions for walking/camping/hiking shops, Decathlon, the likes of Sunice and other lower cost brands.

Then throw in Adidas, Mizuno and Callaway, aswell as Cutter and Buck.

Wouldn't be surprised if they are dead, they just don't seem to be a "go to" brand anymore sadly.

I still think Proquip has a solid reputation amongst golfers, certainly those over 40 who remember them being the RC brand for waterproofs. I have a set that is over 10 years old and still going strong. Definitely a chance there will be some bargains around in the coming weeks.

I also think if they are seen as a brand with a future by an investor, then surely this is the perfect time for a brand relaunch/reimage and they can come back as a force in the waterproof market. I think there is a place for them amongst the FJ and Sunderlands and to be honest I'd consider Proquip, FJ and Sunderland long before Mizuno and Cutter & Buck. In terms of the mid-price market there is definitely still a place for the brand. It just needs someone to believe in it and find a way to make it work

D

Deleted member 18588

Do they register outside the UK?

If not,then given the relatively small size of our home market, then personally I wouldn't recommend any investor getting involved.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I started playing in the 80s, ProQuip were THE top of the range brand.

£200 for the full suit back then, we're talking over 30 years ago, but it was the suit you aspired to buy as a serious golfer.

Nowadays, look at conversations on here for a small sample of the golf community, and how often do you see ProQuip highly recommended as the stand-out brand when someone asks about waterproofs?

Galvin Green are always recommended if budget is not an issue, Footjoy, Sunderland and ProQuip are given an equal shout, but then there are just as many mentions for walking/camping/hiking shops, Decathlon, the likes of Sunice and other lower cost brands.

Then throw in Adidas, Mizuno and Callaway, aswell as Cutter and Buck.

Wouldn't be surprised if they are dead, they just don't seem to be a "go to" brand anymore sadly.

They are enough of a brand for me to have about 5 of their jackets in different colours because they are such an affordable product.

I would agree at one time they were considered on of the major waterproof brands alongside Sunderland who were the 'go to' make in their day.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Oddly enough Ave just had an email from golf support re they have a late Black Friday sale on re proquip

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The website is still down
Not good if you're still trading in the run up to Xmas and your website is down for a few days.

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you have information that journalists do not? see post #8

Try and go onto their website - that should tell you exactly how they are trading right now

Proquip were doing a lot of the Open official clothing.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
There are some advances in golf equipment that even I'm thankful for, one of the biggest is rain gear, the advert below is from 1983.

(Going further back to the 1960s the rain gear looked more like something a North Sea fisherman would wear.)

1607201542721.png