Proposed new winter league scoring system

rapper

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We are running a new winter league for the seniors, and we would like some advice on how to collate the scores,we are playing Stable ford best of so many games proposals are as follows
1 just use the Stableford points that you score each week and total them up for the final result, most points scored wins and so on.2nd highest 2nd etc.
2 Award points like the old formula 1 Grand Prix used ie 12 points for a win 10 for a second 7hen 9 and 8 and so on till 10th spots get s point and all the other competitors under 11th position gets 1 point.
Your ideas and suggestions are most welcomed
Thank you

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Your option 2 was how we ran the order of merit comp and we found it worked pretty well

I once ran a 4 round comp using your option 1 method and again it worked fine but I'm not sure it would be good for lots of rounds where players may not play each round and with a fair weather day potentially counting for a big lead that's hard to claw back

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We run ours a bit like your option 2 with 10 pts for 1st, 7 for 2nd, 5 for third, then 4,3,2,1 pts on down. For each player we take their best 5 points scores before Xmas for one small prize, their best 5 post-Xmas for another small prize and the best 10 overall for the main prize. Not everyone can play every week in winter time. If less than 12 turnup to play on a given day it is a non-counter for the scores tally.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
we play something similar over Winter Months. Best 6 scores to count, can be more. One guy uses a spread sheet to record scores. Each week the winning score looses a shot. Each week £5 in the “pot” 1 drink taken. What is left is split between 1st and 2nd 2/3 and 1/3. We have a Cup in memory of a past member. st the end of the season we have a presentation/ meal at our Club. It has been successful for around 20 years.

£1 is taken weekly to cover engraving. it works well but there are only around 20 in The Group, usually around 16 play each week

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We use best 4 stableford scores to count from end of season till Xmas unlimited rounds , if anyone scores more than 36 points they cut themselves according to their h/c.

As a example I’m off 17 so if I scored anything over 36 points I would cut myself .3 for every shot over 36 points.

Works well.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
old style congu is still the easiest I believe. We used to dock and extra shot for scores over 40 and then an extra 3 if it happens over 3 times. This stopped people running away with it but we only once actually had to invoke the 3 shot deduction. We had more issues at the bottom to be honest.

prizes were £3 and split between best front, back and overall for every match. We also took a tenner for the overall winter league which was Split between the top 3 on a sliding scale.