Problem pitching and chipping

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For the last few games I have been struggling with these shots.

I seem to be taking a longish backswing and not accelerating through the ball.

Does anyone have any drills I could work with to try and eliminate quitting on the ball ????

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For the shorter chips it pains me to say it but the V-Easy is your friend. It gets that rocking type feeling you want and really takes the wrists out of the shot.. The simple answer would be shorten the swing and accelerate through the shot as it sounds as though you are quitting. I've a crap short game and I've found that if I have a really strong left hand (showing 3-4 knuckles) it tends to help stop me getting too wristy if I lose the feel mid round.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Long to short isn't great in the short game.

If you have a backswing that is overlong of the shot at hand and accelerate it'll likely go too far. Ask yourself is your backswing length appropriate or not?

If the answer is too far, then your subconscious will decelerate for you, something you don't want as it's hard to be consistent with that type of stroke and mishits will become not only more likely but punished more. If that was the case I'd work on drills that limit your backswing length and encourage your follow through. Something behind you to limit the swing and the idea of holding your finish (whilst actually doing it) could help in that regard. Then you can learn to trust that the backswing is big enough once you've seen enough results.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks guys for the help and pointers to the vids, will have a look over them, the only slight problem now, is lack of daylight :( At least I have plenty of time to work on them before next season.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would second the Hinge and Hold method. It ensures you dont swing back too far in the backswing and accelerate through impact.