Pro Tips for a 36-Hole Match?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all. I've got my mixed foursomes match play final this Sunday, and it's over 36 holes. Getting excited/nervous as I've never played a final before, and perhaps surprisingly I don't think I've ever played 36 holes in a day before. Wondered if anyone had any pro tips to keep me sharp?

I'm thinking maybe a new pair of socks and shirt for the second 18 to feel fresh, but that might be overthinking it. I'm slightly worried about stiffening up for the afternoon, but I am the youngest of the four players so this should work for me rather than against me - plus it's foursomes so at least you only hit half as many shots.

It almost feels like the morning round is not all that relevant unless we're 4 or 5 up - it can all change over another 18 holes so focus is key. My biggest worry is my shaky driving - there's no way I can get through two rounds without a couple of massive slices at the moment, so hopefully they don't cost us too many holes.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You can't win it after the first round but you can certainly lose it...
Play the way you've played it so far...chances are you'll only get 30 or 32 holes in maximum

sjw

Visit site
Not played in one either but I think I'd be trying even harder than normal to only think about one hole at a time. Like you say, it can all change very quickly, so don't get ahead of yourself, and don't get delirious even if you are 4 or 5 up after 9. Just try and win the hole in front of you.

Good luck!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not played a 36 hole match but I have played matches morning and afternoon on several occasions.
Wouldn't do anything too different from normal , but I would make sure I have something for lunch plus snacks, I would probably rent an electric trolley for the day if you normally carry or push a trolley.
Otherwise just enjoy the final and play each shot on it's merits as usual.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Take spare outfit, more in case of rain in AM round
And do whatever it is that makes you relax, like you feel when you hit your best shots

Then enjoy it, whatever the result

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Don't panic of you go several holes down during the first 18, over 36 holes there are usually ups and downs in play and fortune. Likewise don't take your foot off the pedal if you go several holes up.

Stay calm, keep your PP in a positive mindset, enjoy. :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My biggest worry is my shaky driving - there's no way I can get through two rounds without a couple of massive slices at the moment, so hopefully they don't cost us too many holes.
Are you safer with a 3 wood or iron? It may save your partner having to dig the ball out from a difficult lie in long tough grass. She may not be as strong as you.
If your opponents have a flaky driver this may tip the balance.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you safer with a 3 wood or iron? It may save your partner having to dig the ball out from a difficult lie in long tough grass. She may not be as strong as you.
If your opponents have a flaky driver this may tip the balance.
Hmm, not really. I'm going driving range tonight to determine whether I put the new 3 wood or old reliable 5 wood in the bag - but I'm probably equally capable of slicing them. Just means being further back from the green! But we'll see how it's going of course. I don't usually slice every drive. 🤞🏻

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How good is your partner? How will she react under pressure if any? Plan ahead with shot situation. Aim to half hole and play cautious if you are giving a shot. Communicate with your partner and encourage/motivate her.

Good luck.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Do not eat a big lunch between rounds.
I eat nothing between rounds, merely sit, rest and drink tea.
I can rest well, because I don't need to eat.

Take all your own food that you need for the day. Think about this and plan well.
Eat little and often during each round.
You need to get through 60-65% of it during morning and the rest afternoon.
Playing foursomes makes this much easier to do than when it is singles.

Eating a lunch means your body will then be diverting its energies to digesting a large amount of food.
This is not a good way to start the afternoon round.
Use the lunch break to let your body recuperate from the morning's exertions.
You will have eaten enough food and only need to stat eating again after you get moving in the afternoon.

Now I have given away one of my best golfing secrets.
I would like to offer you my best hopes and wishes for the day.

3 jabber

Visit site
Do not eat a big lunch between rounds.
I eat nothing between rounds, merely sit, rest and drink tea.
I can rest well, because I don't need to eat.

Take all your own food that you need for the day. Think about this and plan well.
Eat little and often during each round.
You need to get through 60-65% of it during morning and the rest afternoon.
Playing foursomes makes this much easier to do than when it is singles.

Eating a lunch means your body will then be diverting its energies to digesting a large amount of food.
This is not a good way to start the afternoon round.
Use the lunch break to let your body recuperate from the morning's exertions.
You will have eaten enough food and only need to stat eating again after you get moving in the afternoon.

Now I have given away one of my best golfing secrets.
I would like to offer you my best hopes and wishes for the day.
I thought he was a young lad walking around a golf course not an endurance athlete :ROFLMAO:

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your overthinking , i don’t play 36 holes in a day anymore but when I did and a lot older than you are it’s not that tiring, especially the format your playing.

Your only actually playing the equivalent of one round maybe less, just walking a bit more.

Just start first round as normal and see where it takes you

Good luck