prize money

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
after playing yesterday overheard a group of guys moaning to the member sec and the captain about prize money from opens.

not the usual that is was too low, but how much went into the prize fund. The kings has loads of opens and it appears pretty much all the entry fee's go towards the prizes. little or none to the club. I can see their point esp if members can't get on the course a couple of Saturdays per month.

so how does you club do it and how much should the club make from opens

Swango1980

Visit site
I suppose they have a point. I'd have thought the running of an Open would be at least to earn some money for that club, or for a worthy charity. If everything went to prizes, sure it is great for the competitors, but doesn't do anything for the club and, as you say, keeps members of the course unless they are playing in it. The only positive is that, it might attract new members by advertising the course, but I'd imagine the same would be true even if some of the entry fee was invested back into the club.

I'm always a bit weary anyway when there are great prizes on offer. I mean, it's nice to think you might win something. But, and this is only from what I hear by others, these type of competitions seem to attract a handful of golfers who, how can I put it, seem to play remarkably well in comparison to their handicap. Maybe they are like Tiger, and simply have that focus when the stakes are high. Maybe...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
My club has a few Opens - a stableford and a pairs. I believe both are reasonably new events (certainly the pairs is only in its 2nd year) and I think they didn't much bother with an Open previously, so it's not like they have a tradition with a cup that's been on the go for decades.

I played in the stableford last year and I remember thinking the prizes were ok without being massive. I think 1st / 2nd / 3rd (might have gone to top 5), but I think there wasn't a long drive or nearest the pin. Part of the entry got you a 2 course meal, but I think the club would have made reasonable money and my understanding is that both events were fully subscribed, with a lot of visitors coming in. Albeit there would likely have been a few quid spent on marketing. The Stableford had 130 players going off.

Also they certainly price it at a point where it's a good amount to play the course rather than being really cheap. I think last year for a visitor, it was £30, which included entry, lunch and a midweek practice round. Which is actually really good. Albeit there seems to be a culture where a lot of places have opens priced at £10 or £12... which just seems crazy cheap.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Prior to this year there was a set green fee of £5 per visitor taken by the club from the entry, fee after all costs the remainder went totally in to prizes. This year we will be taking 15% after costs to cover office staff costs, they normally take care of things on the day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suppose they have a point. I'd have thought the running of an Open would be at least to earn some money for that club, or for a worthy charity. If everything went to prizes, sure it is great for the competitors, but doesn't do anything for the club and, as you say, keeps members of the course unless they are playing in it. The only positive is that, it might attract new members by advertising the course, but I'd imagine the same would be true even if some of the entry fee was invested back into the club.

I'm always a bit weary anyway when there are great prizes on offer. I mean, it's nice to think you might win something. But, and this is only from what I hear by others, these type of competitions seem to attract a handful of golfers who, how can I put it, seem to play remarkably well in comparison to their handicap. Maybe they are like Tiger, and simply have that focus when the stakes are high. Maybe...
Bandits/ cheats you mean?