Printer ink drying up

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi, looking for some advice from all the resident computer geeks lurking around the forum.

We have an Epson printer that only gets used once or twice a week so the ink dries up and we are continually having to clean the nozzles which then uses more ink and, with the price of printer ink being higher than petrol at the moment, we are looking to save some money.

is there a way of stopping the ink drying, without printing everyday? The other solution is to buy a new printer, looking at wifi to print direct from the iPad without sending stuff to the laptop, is there any recommendations for one that is less susceptible to drying, or at least is cheaper to buy ink?

cheers for your help

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Ink is ink and will dry up and clog if not used, cleaning using the software just forces more ink through, so it very wasteful
Is most of your printing black & white? If so consider a mono laser, HP and Samsung do them for about £70. Doesn't use ink and the powder lasts me a good 12 months and is about £35 for a refil.

If you need a scanner as well, a mono laser /scanner is about £130

Colour lasers are good quality but it costs about £50 per colour refil x 4 so can get expensive

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...one-wireless-inkjet-printer-10138212-pdt.html

Bargain.

Only £1.99 a month for 50 sheets of printing. Self ordering ink when running low via HP e print.

It's the future of printing.

Possibly, but if you do so little printing that your ink dries out, the cartridge may have loads left in it, so wont trigger the auto order.
Then you have to manual order, it takes a couple of days in the post etc and you want to print NOW!

Doesnt solve the OP's problem

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
All depends what you are printing.

Mostly text stuff then laser all the way. I got a colour samsung laser to do my wedding invites. Still going on the initial supplied toners and its 3 years since I got it but then we don't print much at all. Probably 1500 paged through it in that time tops but not highly condensed prints. If we want photos we use one of the online print options for bulk or local shops for small volume stuff.

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Possibly, but if you do so little printing that your ink dries out, the cartridge may have loads left in it, so wont trigger the auto order.
Then you have to manual order, it takes a couple of days in the post etc and you want to print NOW!

Doesnt solve the OP's problem

What drivel.

The OP said he prints weekly. No printer ink will dry in a week. Plus the HP printer runs self cleans automatically. You don't pay any extra for the tiny amounts of ink used in this process.

It answers the OP's problem quite simply.

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
Well it would help if we had more input from the OP
He does say that his inks are drying out. Which indicates possible less frequent printing than weekly.

As for "drivel" bit harsh .

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Do you use genuine Epson inks or "compatibles"?
I have had a number of Epson printers over the years, sometimes going weeks between printing jobs, and have never had a cartridge "dry up" on me.
I always use genuine Epson inks, and paper come to that, as I got caught out using compatibles early doors and have never trusted them since.
I now have an HP printer (bought about 3 months ago) and have only maybe printed half a dozen pages out of it over that time, and haven't have a problem.

Spartacus

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Well it would help if we had more input from the OP
He does say that his inks are drying out. Which indicates possible less frequent printing than weekly.

As for "drivel" bit harsh .

Harsh but true. No further info from OP necessary, it's all there.

My link has provided the best solution, IMO.