Home office printer

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We went for the HP Envy Photo 6230, not taken a decision on the ink yet.
We had Epson printers at work for many years, cost of cartridges went up, we bought non Epson ones, printers didn't like it. They also started to become problematic full stop. After going through a third one in short time we changed to HP Envy. We have had two now for about 4 years each and they have not missed a beat. We may have been lucky but they have done the job for us. Solid choice.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

I am looking for a recommendation for a home office printer. Our current one, HP Deskjet F2280 All In One, is finally past it. I think I had it since 2007?

The HPs look like they do that, but not sure about ink subscription plans. And Epson seems to have a couple of good options as well.
Not even sure if laser or inkjet is teh way to go these days.

Anyone has the must have, goto, can't miss device?

Cheers. larmen

Be wary of these. We had one for my lad but only after we checked that he was receiving new ink cartridges did we discover that he hadn't - but he hadn't twigged he wasn't getting any as he hadn't been using his printer for many months and it wasn't connected to HP.

We went to HP and pointed out we were paying for ink that we weren't getting. HP said that the fact that we weren't using paper (HP track based upon sheets of paper printed) was why they weren't sending ink - and that we weren't connected or printing anything was neither here nor there as far as HP were concerned. The cost per month is the cost per month. You pay it even if you aren't printing anything or printing very little.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another one for HP MFP M281fdw .. brilliant kit.. also does wireless printing which is brillaint. Sits under the stairs when not needed and can print off all the assortment of phones/pads/laptops.. Works with compatible toners off Amazon.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Be wary of these. We had one for my lad but only after we checked that he was receiving new ink cartridges did we discover that he hadn't - but he hadn't twigged he wasn't getting any as he hadn't been using his printer for many months and it wasn't connected to HP.

We went to HP and pointed out we were paying for ink that we weren't getting. HP said that the fact that we weren't using paper (HP track based upon sheets of paper printed) was why they weren't sending ink - and that we weren't connected or printing anything was neither here nor there as far as HP were concerned. The cost per month is the cost per month. You pay it even if you aren't printing anything or printing very little.
This was pointed out to me when I bought mine. It is also spelt out in the contract. It's easy enough to calculate whether or not it make economic sense for you. If it doesn't don't sign up. If having signed up you realise you are not printing as much as you thought, cancel. If printing more, upgrade.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
This was pointed out to me when I bought mine. It is also spelt out in the contract. It's easy enough to calculate whether or not it make economic sense for you. If it doesn't don't sign up. If having signed up you realise you are not printing as much as you thought, cancel. If printing more, upgrade.
Indeed - it's not as if you can build up a stock of ink cartridges HP send if your ink usage is low as you are not printing. If your paper (and hence ink) use is low - HP don't send ink but you still pay. I was unsighted to my lad not printing...and he didn't realise that we were paying for him not printing.

As said - just be aware that you are paying for an assumed usage and getting ink provided on actual usage.

Last edited:

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
If you look at the reviews on that some people are calling it a scam. I didn’t get it at 1st, that’s why I asked and also watched plenty of YouTube videos on it by now.
The printer should arrive today, we still haven’t entirely made up our mind on the ink model we use, outright or infinite.

Maybe I should ask that question on the EV threat ...

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you look at the reviews on that some people are calling it a scam. I didn’t get it at 1st, that’s why I asked and also watched plenty of YouTube videos on it by now.
The printer should arrive today, we still haven’t entirely made up our mind on the ink model we use, outright or infinite.

It isn't a scam, people just have not been careful when they signed up. They make the terms very clear, they don't hide how it works. You just have to decide whether it works for you.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site

Personally, from my experience, its not a scam IF you understand it and use it as expected.
I had an Envy inkjet but the move to WFH meant I needed to top end package and even then was almost outstripping the supply maximum.

So I recalculated that a high yield laser would fit better for me.

So the instant ink worked in my case, in that I got a new set of cartridges pretty much every 6 weeks. But even then was waiting or having to buy separately meantime as I was printing so much.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fro my HP Envy I have been using own brand ink from 'Cartridge People' and am very happy with the quality and compatibility. It flags on the printer that the cartridges are not new, and used ones, but it thinks they are HP oem and offer all the bits I expect from an oem toner,