Princes or Littlestone

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking for a links day out with a couple of friends in September.

Thinking either 27 holes at Princes, or 36 at littlestone (Warren in the morning, championship in the afternoon).

Princes is £165 (Friday to Sunday) or £135 (Monday to Thursday). I’ve played it before although before the Himalayas was remodelled. Given we’d probably want to go on a Friday, £165 seems a bit expensive to me.

Littlestone on the other hand would be £75, I’ve not played it before.

Thoughts and insights on the two options would be appreciated

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Littlestone is a decent challenge and I personally prefer it over Princes. The Warren is an old 9 hole course extended to 18 holes and is very much junior to the main course. It's well maintained but nowhere near the championship course. I like the Littlestone main course more simply because the holes are more randomly laid out so with , say, the prevailing wind it can be in your face, behind, into or sideways as you play but Princes (afaik) the wind hits usually fom one side or the other as the courses seem to be more straight out and then back in. That is not to say Princes is not a great course because it's really well maintained.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks Chris. Ideally we’d go for 36 on the championship course at Littlestone, but visitors in the afternoon only.

Any other courses in the vicinity you’d recommend for the morning if the Warren isn’t great?

sunshine

Visit site
Not played the Warren course at Littlestone but walked past it when playing the main course and on the way to the range. It's definitely not a "proper" course, looks ideal for beginners as a step up from pitch and putt. The championship course at Littlestone is great, traditional out and back links. Front nine downwind (apart from 4th), then you turn and battle your way back into the wind for the back nine. The back nine zig zags a bit on the way home (as chrisd mentions). Must be great to be a member here but it is nowhere near as challenging as Princes.

Princes is a genuine championship course built to challenge the best golfers. It's a significant step up from Littlestone (in my opinion). As Chris points out, every hole at Princes ran parallel to the coast, although they have tried to vary that by building 2 new short par 3's which point towards the sea.

I'd vote Princes, but play it on a Monday instead of peak rates.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks Chris. Ideally we’d go for 36 on the championship course at Littlestone, but visitors in the afternoon only.

Any other courses in the vicinity you’d recommend for the morning if the Warren isn’t great?

If cost is important I'd have a warm up on the Warren then really enjoy the step up to the main event. There's Tenderden, Sene Valley, my club Ashford in the area but Ashford is suffering with poor growth on the fairways currently since the torrential rain in early spring and recent lack of water and I couldn't comment on the others as we've not played away since lockdown was lifted.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Either is good, I'd go to princes if you're eating a meal etc as the lodge restaurant is brilliant. Saying that Little stone a lovely course too.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Either are good. I have a personal preference for Littlestone (Championship), bit I wans't overly impressed the one time I played the Warren. If you can't do 36 on the championship course I might actually prefer Princes, but only might; the lure of the Littlestone championship links even for just 18 might still sway it.

Can't agree that Littlestone is less challenging than Princes. The front 9 at Littlestone also changes direction on 8 and 9 as well as 4.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think that Littlestone is a quality course. Have enjoyed Al my rounds there.

If you want more than 18 I think Prince's is the better offering as all 3 loops are of equal measure to the 18 at Littlestone. All of which are a significant step up to the Warren.

If money is a consideration then I don't it's a close call. As Littlestone is obviously cheaper.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Either are good. I have a personal preference for Littlestone (Championship), bit I wans't overly impressed the one time I played the Warren. If you can't do 36 on the championship course I might actually prefer Princes, but only might; the lure of the Littlestone championship links even for just 18 might still sway it.

Can't agree that Littlestone is less challenging than Princes. The front 9 at Littlestone also changes direction on 8 and 9 as well as 4.

So you’re not entirely sure then?!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I think that Littlestone is a quality course. Have enjoyed Al my rounds there.

If you want more than 18 I think Prince's is the better offering as all 3 loops are of equal measure to the 18 at Littlestone. All of which are a significant step up to the Warren.

If money is a consideration then I don't it's a close call. As Littlestone is obviously cheaper.

Should you not be declaring an interest before answering? :);)

Newnsy

Visit site
I’d check to make sure they are not still playing off mats at littlestone I know they lost there fairways last year.
Princes IMO is a much better course especially if you haven’t played since the remodel and there is a new hole on the shore now too.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ignoring the money, princes .
better condition nowadays and more varied holes if you play all 27. Some don't like the new Himalayas, I love them.
Both good courses though and personally feel the Warren is underrated at Littlestone. No its not the same as the championship course, but its not that far behind.

sunshine

Visit site
I’d check to make sure they are not still playing off mats at littlestone I know they lost there fairways last year.
Princes IMO is a much better course especially if you haven’t played since the remodel and there is a new hole on the shore now too.

I played littlestone in September last year and don't remember the fairways being terrible.

sunshine

Visit site

I have always found the fairways at littlestone flatter and the rough less punishing than Princes. At princes you can find the middle of the fairway and have an awkward stance with ball above or below your feet, typical undulating links terrain. At littlestone you play over and through the dunes but the fairways are generally very flat.

I'm not knocking littlestone, I think it's great, but princes is quite a bit tougher.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Rather than starting a new one, thought I'd kick this one back into life.
Looking at going down to princes in the next few weeks.
I heard (4th hand!) that the condition of the fairways at princes was a little sub-par atm. This surprised me. Has anyone played it recently and can comment on the state of the place?
Many thanks.

Newnsy

Visit site
Played a couple of weeks ago, Hims was the weakest out of the 3 nines, but wasn’t bad by any means, shore and dunes were as good as normal

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Rather than starting a new one, thought I'd kick this one back into life.
Looking at going down to princes in the next few weeks.
I heard (4th hand!) that the condition of the fairways at princes was a little sub-par atm. This surprised me. Has anyone played it recently and can comment on the state of the place?
Many thanks.

Haven’t played there in over a month, but I know we’ve gone to clean and place already. That being said, I’d imagine that poor fairways art princes still fair well compared to other courses. Also, over next 3 weeks they’re treating the greens. So whilst it’s a great track. It’s probably not the ideal time to play it.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haven’t played there in over a month, but I know we’ve gone to clean and place already. That being said, I’d imagine that poor fairways art princes still fair well compared to other courses. Also, over next 3 weeks they’re treating the greens. So whilst it’s a great track. It’s probably not the ideal time to play it.
Appreciate this. Thanks for the update.